PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I just bought a small Stanwell pipe and its stem is very narrow, even the smallest of my rubber bits don't fit it well. The fit is slightly loose, and so moisture will gather underneath them and making the rubber really slippery, thus difficult to clench. I really don't like having teeth marks on my pipe, so I'm wondering if there is a way to make the rubber tighter? Alternatively are there other ways to prevent teeth marks other than using rubber bits?

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Teeth marks are a part of breaking in the pipe. With the proper teeth marks, you will find the pipe rests more comfortably in your teeth.

Yes but after a month the stem is gonna look like discoloured sandpaper.

It's just par for the course, IMO. When I started I was always worried about that. But, I've since decided that these are my pipes, and my opinion of them is all that matters. I am not a pipe swapper, trader, or re-saler. My pipes will be piled on and burned with me in my funeral pyre, so what does it matter. You can always buff them latter, use a polishing cloth on them after each smoke, or just hold the thing daintily as you smoke.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I am in the camp of chatter is not an issue as well. I really hate those softy bit things and don't use them, all my smokers have chatter and I am okay with that. Only exception is on pipe I "collect" and those don't get smoked.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I used to like softies for preventing chatter. After a while, I just got over it and decided I preferred comfortable clenching over less stem maintenance.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I personally prefer the rubber bits as I'm a clencher but since that won't work I'd have to agree with chasingembers on the surgical tubing.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
The softy bits make clenching incredibly uncomfortable IMO. The stem is meant to be clenched. I just do it lightly, which is better for my jaw anyhow. It leaves some minor teeth marks but nothing thay would devalue or damage the pipe in any way. Besides that, I get to experiemce how the different makers stems feel and what I prefer for comfort.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes but after a month the stem is gonna look like discoloured sandpaper.
You can largely reduce that by moistening the end of the shank in your mouth and then wiping it down with a cloth when you are done for the day. Take a moment to remove your gunk and it won't build up. As for teeth marks, if you're a clencher, softee bits or the equivalent, like surgical grade rubber tubing, are your only options.
Some people find mouth slobber attractive and a +, others don't.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I only use the rubber bits on my cobs as I actually bit a hole through one of its stems once. I have one rubber bit on my nose warmer. All the rest of my pipes I do not apply the rubber bit because 1) My briar pipes are too big to and heavy to clench, 2) if I didn't care about the appearance of my briar pipes I would not own a briar pipe and would replace all of them with cobs or metal Falcons because those are the true utility pipes that in my opinion function as a pipe should.
Briar pipes are just Jewlry for men anyway, although the most will deny it. True story too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have what I consider a few really nice pipes, but I have carefully sought out what I deem great pipes at medium to low prices, rather than amass a rack of only treasures for precisely this reason. Pipes are to be used and enjoyed. I'm not doing an art collection or a museum here. If my teeth wear little notches in the bits, so be it. A little charring at the brim? Okay. Patina on the briar? Magnificent. A well-worn, well-loved pipe is what I'm after, although I defeat myself to some degree by having many pipes, hence using them pretty gently.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agree with the above, but another alternative is to not clench on that pipe. Just sitting, no need to hold the pipe other than in the hand.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Alternatively are there other ways to prevent teeth marks other than using rubber bits?
I like the surgical tube idea, or, here's a novel approach: Hold the pipe with your hand instead of your teeth! But if those aren't acceptible then the next options would be:
1. Stretch your lips inward covering your teeth then clench. Unless you happen to play a double-reed woodwind it might be a little odd at first.
2. Have your teeth replaced with dentures, then remove them to smoke. Your gum tissue will become fibrous enough to clench a pipe but without leaving marks.
3. Undergo psychotherapy to stop obsesssing over a few teeth marks on a pipe stem.
and finally, saving the best for last:
5. Duct tape. That shit's good for everything.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Cosmic's funeral pyre will not have wood stacked, but mixture 79.
Get surgical tubing or softies. I think someday I will refinish my mouthpieces when need be. A pipe is a tool, yes. But even a wrench needs the grease wiped off every once in a while.

Oh yeh, strict details must be adhered to for placing my cellar around me in the boat. I had once contemplated a pharaoh like tomb with all of my pipes and tobaccos, but I couldn't be sure that my eternity would not be disrupted they build a mini mall over my land after I'm gone. So, pyre it is.
I'm offended at the notion that I might smoke Mixture 79. Ha ha!!

meme4_zpsacc46b7a.jpg

But, I hear it's flavorful!

Status
Not open for further replies.