PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
What would I put the tobacco in? That's my question. Or, would I simply lay some flakes out on a cookie sheet, and bake at a low temp for a few hours? I'm thinking about doing this with some ODF and LNF, but would like some pointers or suggestions from someone with experience before I do.
Thanks guys. Hope you're all having a great Labor Day weekend.
-Jerod

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Why "bake for a few hours"? To dry out ? I've dried out baccy in the oven ( electric with digital controls ) by preheating to 170F ( lowest setting ), turn off, stick the baccy in there on aluminium foil no more than 5 minutes. I think you can also do it in a non stick uncovered pan on lowest setting of the top and stir it about....

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Rcstan- there have been a few threads about baking tobacco, and how it can (to an extent), simulate the process of aging. I do believe the threads I'm talking about, only referenced tinned tobaccos.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I think baking it just laying on a sheet will turn it crispy dry. I think it needs to be seal to bake the flavour rather then baking the oils out of it?

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I think baking it just laying on a sheet will turn it crispy dry.
I'm sure you're right. I wonder if baking in a jar would work... Might have to try with a couple oz's. Anybody think I should be concerned about broken glass?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I'd use a mason jar. We aren't talking crazy high heat so the glass should be fine. Put a baking sheet under it just in case so you don't get glass all over the oven.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If it's a small amount, you can wrap it in foil, or parchment first and then foil -- just seal it up like you were heating hotdog buns or something. An hour or two at 175-200 F is plenty. It's not the same as aging, but it will mellow things out a bit.
Also, Latakia will ghost your oven/toaster oven for a couple of days, so keep that in mind.

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
I prefer Dr. Fred Hanna's method of baking at 175-180 degrees for around 5 hours. I just use a stainless pot, spread the tobacco evenly inside, and replace the cover until the process is finished.

Think, Dutch oven, something to keep the moisture in as you heat it up activating those magical tobacco gods inside the flakes.

I would say that a Mason Jar would work fine. They are virtually indestructible. Or, maybe try using a tight fitting empty tin, or an actual Dutch oven. I have been baking tins of Erinmore since Bradly had posted about it. And, it doesn't seem to matter whether the tin is sealed, or has been opened. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.