Method Of Clearing Moister In Stem While Smoking.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I was just sitting here smoking Mac baren Roll Cake in my Trypis Billiard With twin bore system.
I started to get moister in the stem so I did the old pass the pipe cleaner thing through each hole and that seemed to work for a bit but it just kept happening.
I then decided I would stick the pipe cleaner in one hole and fold it so I could still smoke the pipe and this worked like a charm. With the twin bore stem if it gets moist ill just plug one side with a pipe cleaner and smoke and them alternate sides as it gets moist again.
This is of course only if it gets moist I don't see a reason to do this if your smoking dry.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
With my straight billiard, I just cover the bowl with my thumb, and flick moisture out the stem with a sharp downward flick of the wrist. Works great. Learned that trick somewhere on this forum.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Smokey:
That's one of the weirdest comments I've read since joining this forum. I wish I knew more science and physics and could explain that to you, but I don't.
On the other hand, if it works, then more power to you, my friend.
Fnord

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I just run a pipe cleaner down the stem/shank and that works pretty well. Sometimes I have to do it a couple times during the smoke depending on the pipe and the tobacco in it. It doesn't bother me though.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I don't know what's so weird about it lol. As I draw the moister runs through the stem to my mouth like a straw but with the pipe cleaner in there it acts like a filter the obsorbs the moister on one side while the other side gets nothing but dry smoke.
Give it a go it might even work with a regular stem just use a thinner pipe cleaner.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I can honestly say I never thought about smoking my pipe with a pipe cleaner in it.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If moisture is a major problem for you, try a Brigham pipe. Their rock maple filters do a phenominal job at whisking away the moisture as you smoke. And, the design of the filter makes it so the flovor of the tobacco is unaffected.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I'd think the problem should solve itself over time. When they are well broken-in, those Trypis pipes smoke absolutely dry. However, until you have a good cake on it, I found the smokes to be quite moist in the second half. Luckily they build-up cake quite fast.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
You guys misunderstood this wasnt an attack on my Trypis pipe rather my terrible pipe smoking skill i obviously was puffing like a mad man lol.
I agree i have a Brigham with maple inserts the are great but my trypis pipe is just as amazing, if i smoked it properly i have no issues. i was just in a rush that night to finish cause it was cold outside lol.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
You guys misunderstood this wasnt an attack on my Trypis pipe rather my terrible pipe smoking skill i obviously was puffing like a mad man lol.
I agree i have a Brigham with maple inserts the are great but my trypis pipe is just as amazing, if i smoked it properly i have no issues. i was just in a rush that night to finish cause it was cold outside lol.
Get ready for some winter fun then ... ;-)
ispd.jpg

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
haha thats awesome, i honestly prefer smoking in the winter to crazy hot days so im looking forward to it. i just wasn't properly prepared clothing wise for the chill last night. today however it feels like +40 degrees Celsius and i am dying. Damn Inconsistent Canadian Weather.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I just run a pipe cleaner through it.

I have a couple of twin bore pipes so I understand what smokey is doing.

One of the pipes with the twin bore I had someone make it a single for me, so I could keep the original stem.

The pipe was a Mountbatten #8250 Curved Stem Sitter, a very nice pipe.

mountbatten-8250-nc-sitter.jpg

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I think Smokemaster brand pipes actually holes in the stem to bend a pipe cleaner in half and insert into the holes to hold. Some also have a inner tube thing.
You can see it pretty well in this ad for sale. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estate-vintage-PIPE-CLEANERS-2-packs-Dills-Bristle-/390323613722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae119b01a

Status
Not open for further replies.