PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Every now and then I post in here about metal, a passion of mine, seeing what other fellow briar inclined metalheads are listening to.
I'm usually a power, death and black metal kind of guy, but lately I've been listening to a lot of doom/sludge/stoner metal. Bands like Candlemass (a personal favorite, especially their first four or five albums), Hooded Menace (I highly suggest this Finnish death/doom act), Electric Wizard, and Sleep.
Anyone else into doom/sludge/stoner metal?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Was big into acid metal when I was a kid. Still listen to Gwar from time to time. Will have to give the bands you listed a try.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
YOB's album Clearing the Path to Ascend is amazing. Huge sludge metal.
Indian and their splinter group, Lord Mantis, both have recent records worth a spin.
The one I keep coming back to is this weird black doom band called Downfall of Gaia. Their album Suffocating in the Swarm of Cranes is one of my favorite metal records. It's got some elements that my pals tell me are crust-punk, but it's just great, heavy, brutal music.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
YOB is good. They were here in Denver recently, but I couldn't make it to their show. I've heard of Downfall of Gaia but have not listened to them.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
My favorite Metal band, hands down is Black Sabbath. Old school? Sure. Timeless? Absolutely. I love the version of N.I.B. from this show: http://youtu.be/6yZA4TC_pt4

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Funnily enough, just before seeing this thread I'd put on Triarchy of the Lost Lovers by Rotting Christ. A great band who have written some of the best riffs ever in their nearly 30 years together. They've never gotten the recognition they deserve imo, it's probably the name!
Other than that I've been addicted to The Flesh Prevails by Fallujah for months now, it has production issues but the songwriting and atmosphere are fantastic.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I too have been stuck on Fallujah. Even more so Inanimate Existence. The new Jobforacowboy is really good. Been listening to a lot of Witchcraft too.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
The best metal video of all time. Hang in there until about 45 seconds, and you'll see what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp7CYvh8FwA&index=16&list=PL14FojJvMZXggdpGUQvdqPtDBt70YFBkM

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_aHIxP-jW0
This is one of the best black metal albums ever, featuring Dead on vocals the original singer in Mayhem who blew his head off with a shotgun in 1991 which became the album cover of a Mayhem album.
dead_wallpaper_by_lilg9-d3btxpg.jpg

dead3.jpg

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I'm more of a classic metal fan...Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth and then toss in some Incubus. Dave Mustaine is a genius.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Mastodon is great. I love them. I also really enjoy Impending Doom. Tool and Chevelle are at the top of my list as well, not quite as hard as the others but they are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.