PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

humla

Lurker
Aug 27, 2014
Hello!
I have just got my first pipe ever, the pipe I have is a cheap one and with it was some kind of screw. When I assemble the pipe it feels like the screw will make it harder to draw the smoke. I haven't tested it with tobacco yet though. Is that scre supposed to be there or should I remove it? The mouthpiece is firmer with it on.
This is the pipe, you can see the screw I am talking about too: http://www.adamsbutik.se/gfx/pgfx/4466_big.jpg

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
That's called a "Stinger". It's intended to condense moisture out of the smoke, which in turn is supposed to offer a cooler, drier smoke. Some people love them, some people hate them, and it's entirely up to you whether to leave it in place or remove it (most are removable, in order to facilitate cleaning - either by unscrewing them or just pulling them straight out, depending on the maker).
I have a Dr. Brog that has a stinger, which I've just left in place. Haven't noticed any real difference with it in or with it out, myself. If your pipe performs better with the stinger (as you say, the stem feels firmer), leave it in.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I have a Yello-Bowl pipe and a meerschaum that both came with stingers similar to that. I removed it from the Yello-Bowl and it improved the draw, but I've left it on the Meer because it's part of what attaches the stem to the shank.
You could always test it: if air passes through it without a problem you can leave it, but if it is a struggle to suck air through it I would recommend removing it.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Hi humla, and first of all, welcome to the forum--we're glad to have you here as one of us. Now to the point – you said it was a cheap pipe. If by that you mean inexpensive, that's one thing, and if by that you mean cheap in quality, that's another. Ultimately what really matters is your satisfaction with the smoke it gives you, regardless of how much you paid for it. I've got some pipes they didn't cost an arm and a leg, and they deliver a great smoke, and I've had them for a lot of years. I have no idea what your finances are, and how much you're willing to spend on the pipe, so it would be inappropriate for me to tell you that you absolutely must have this brand or that brand. That said, I have a few recommendations I'd like to make: first of all, I'm a big fan of corncob pipes, and I believe that they offer a fine smoke for very little cash outlay. They last a relatively long period of time, and when they wear out, break, or get lost, he won't cry because you've just lost a great deal of money. I will tell you that wearing a suit and tie to work every day, I could often be spotted smoking a corncob pipe, so they are really nothing to be ashamed of. Two brands that I highly recommend are Missouri Meerschaum, and Old Dominion.

Now if you think that $50 is okay to spend on a pipe, let me recommend checking out the pipes and cigars website. Right now, theyve got all their Stanwells on sale, and the brushed black go for only $50. While I myself have a great many pipes that are considered to be artisanal and quite high value, I just bought two of the brushed black pipes because they were great value, and as I've learned over the past few days, a very good smoke--great bang for the buck. While you're there check out these brands: Stanwell, Peterson, and Savinelli – these are all factory made pipes that vary in price from relatively inexpensive to somewhat up there in price, but are all good value. Ultimately, if you're going to get serious about the pipe smoking hobby, you may want to explore this range of pipes. The good news is that properly taken care of, they will last beyond your lifetime. Dr. Grabow, Medico, Yello-bole used to be available in just about every drugstore, but are getting harder to find. Check them out – a lot of smokers smoke these pipes their entire lives, and are totally happy with them. IBack in the old days many pipes had stingers in them. They condensed the liquid in the smoke, made it cooler, and a bit milder. Then the word got out that stingers were a mark of cheap pipes, and that a good quality pipe and a good quality tobacco had no need of a metal filter to make it smokable. I regard that as a highly debatable point, and you will find people on both sides of that argument. The bottom line is your satisfaction with the smoke, as I said before.

Anyway, I've given you a few things to think about as you commence your foray into the world of pipe smoking. If I can be of any further help to you, please feel free to ask. In fact ask anyone on this forum, because we're all here to share information with one another and to help each other get the maximum enjoyment from our hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.