PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

realfloopyguy

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
It is 11 pm and Past my bed time. I'm slightly sick and not really able to sleep. I told my wife I'd stay up to give her nephew a ride home since she is working tomorrow and I am playing hooky. I was laying on the couch watching youtube videos about pipes and it occurred to me that the stem on a MM cob looked a lot like a half inch dowel rod. I had a bunch of small pieces from a gun rack project that I did a few weeks ago for my military rifles and a couple estate cobs I picked up last week in a package deal. So I decided to give one of them a stem extension. Not that I claim it to be a great work of art or anything. I just thought it was amusing. I am going to try to make some cos3bwardens next week(gotta get some corn first). I don't think it will be that hard to bend a one foot piece of 1/2" dowel rod if I boil it for a bit. Anyone have and idea where I can get those little rings on the end that keeps the wood from splitting when you push the tenon in?

realfloopyguy

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
A "cos3bwardens" is apparently me beating my hands on the keyboard like a mentally impaired monkey. I'll go ahead and edit that. Cobwarden/Cobbit are corn cob churchwardens. I assume you were just picking on my horrific misspelling. I'll blame it on being tired and sick.
73326d1353915553-cobwarden-dgerwin11-review-img_2749.jpg

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Floopy I'm honestly not picking on you, because there are a LOT of people here who don't bother or don't care to proofread and edit what they post here. Just sayin'. 8O

May 4, 2015
Floopy I'm honestly not picking on you, because there are a LOT of people here who don't bother or don't care to proofread and edit what they post here. Just sayin'.
For what it's worth, this is one of the better-spoken corners of the internet. I can come here when I need to find the thoughts of (on the whole) well-read and well-spoken people. I certainly appreciate it!

realfloopyguy

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
I wasn't offended. It isn't like that is a mistype or misspelling. I'm not sure how that one got by me. I would assume 'cos3bwardens' would light up red in the spell check but it doesn't. Not sure how I could accidently hit s and 3 buttons between o and b. For the record, I would have picked on me.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
Keul.. No really, keul, the longer the smoke takes to get to your mouth, the longer it has to cool, no?

realfloopyguy

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
I'm not sure how much it cools. I read people arguing a lot about them. It has to cool it some but I imagine it is negligible. I have actually been considering taking the pipe I just build and using a fishtank pump to draw smoke through it in both configurations and measure the smoke. That would tell us whether or not a longer stem significantly cools the smoke. It would depend on me packing it the same way both times though or using the same bowl. I just like the way it looks and being able to light it without burning my beard off.:)

realfloopyguy

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
I wanted a pipe that I could smoke for 10 minutes and not be throwing away tobacco. The dwarf seemed the right choice for it. I will probably get all 4 of them. It gives me some pipes to buy weekly without going all crazy. I can live with $20 a week.
lol. Pipes are my new hobby. Interestingly, it is safer, cheaper, and healthier than my other hobbies.:X

May 4, 2015
It has to cool it some but I imagine it is negligible
I should add this to my Myths, Misconceptions and other Fooey thread.
When you draw on a pipe you create a vacuum in the stem that the smoke promptly fills and makes its way to your mouth. In the time it takes for this to happen, even with a foot-long stem, I refuse to believe any appreciable cooling can happen. I would guess not even close to a degree. I'd like to see a practical experiment, but my thoughts are - BS.

realfloopyguy

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
Pipesmokingtom, I can't see how it would cool much. However, if the stem gets warm while smoking then any heat that the stem holds (past the normal length) would have to come from the heat generated by the smoke. Ill try to set up an experiment over the next couple weeks.
I guess that would be a purpose for the extension that I made.

May 4, 2015
However, if the stem gets warm while smoking then any heat that the stem holds (past the normal length) would have to come from the heat generated by the smoke
True, but... In order to have an aggregate effect on the stem, a steady stream of hot smoke would have to be applied. Continuously pumping hot smoke through it isn't going to cool the smoke that's exiting to any real degree. Think of your hot water pipes in your house. That water runs quite a distance through pipes and comes out just about as hot on the other end. Sure, the pipes warm up, but not at any real expense to the temperature of the water.

May 4, 2015
Now if the smoke just sat in the stem, the temperature would equalize and heat the stem up. Since that's not the condition that's created when the negative pressure is created that moves the smoke, thermal transfer just doesn't have time to happen.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Hi realfloopyguy,
I like the Cobwarden/Cobbit!

I'm not sure about the long stems cooling effect, but when I smoke strong tobacco, like the italian Forte (mainly kentucky), with long stems pipes it looks less heavy than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.