PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Disclaimer: This is going to be a bit of a long post!
Carter Hall is one of my favorite mixing bases, because I find it to be like vanilla ice cream- good quality, but not very flavorful by itself. I love dark-fired Kentucky (smoke cured) and I love Latakia (smoke cured). Living in the Southwest, I also think any food (especially meat) is improved by Mesquite smoke. Since I am off work (bored witless) due to a back injury, I have plenty of time on my hands and plenty of Valium and Percocet swilling around in the bilge. I'm sure you can guess where this is going.
Yesterday I set my trusty Weber Bar-B-Kettle up for low-heat smoking mode. Built a good old-fashioned, all wood base fire to burn down to coals. When the small stuff was almost ready to break up and mash through into the botttom of the grill, I put three fist-sized chunks on so they could start to smolder. While that was going on, I opened a fresh pouch of Carter hall and wrapped it in a length of aluminum foil, shiny side out. I used a chopstick to poke holes all over that sucker to let the smoke pass through. I put it on a grilling basket to keep it as far away from the heat as possible.
By this time the fire was ready to knock everything but the smoldering "smoking chunks" down through the grill. I set those around the outside circumference of the grill, and put the grill basket in the very middle. I covered the grill, closed the upper and lower vents, and crossed my fingers.
Fast forward to 45 minutes later. Small amounts of mesquite smoke were still wafting out from under the BBQ lid, which I took as a good sign. The lid was only slightly warm to the touch. I pulled the packet off, opened it, and dumped it onto a plate. It did not reek of mesquite as I supposed it would, and thanks to the slight amount of PG in the CH, it was not dried out. It smelled of freshly toasted nuts, and that's about it.
As soon as it was completely cool, I put it into a Mason jar to let it mojenate overnight. This morning, on opening the jar, I got a slightly dark-fired, slightly toasted nut smell, with just barely a hint of a mesquite tang. I loaded up a bowl in one of my smaller billiards I usually use for nothing but Classic Burley Kake. I figured that would be benign enough not to interfere with the flavor of my new FrankenHall.
Smoked the entire bowl, and here is the result: Not nearly as mesquity as I thought it would be. I could not taste it on the tongue, but did get a pleasant, mild taste of it on exhaling through the nose. This happened throughout the entire bowl. The normal CH nuttiness was transformed into a slightly stronger, toasted version. The mild taste of dark-fired burley stayed throughout as well, but was mild enough not to satisfy someone who is looking for an ODF or DSK type experience. (For that I would recommend ODF or DSK; they're both delicious!) Really, my only disappointment with this experiment is that I wanted more mesquite boldness. So, after I smoke this batch (because it really did turn out good), I will try again.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
What a great idea! I'm going to have to experiment with smoking some of the blends I like. Curious to see what results I would get by laying flakes right on the smoking racks? :puffy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I thought about that, because I would also like to experiment with smoking or toasting some flake. However, I don't have a deep smoker, and I don't think I could keep them far enough away from the heat. Lately I have taken to toasting LBF in a small skillet on the stovetop. Improves the smoking quality, but it cannot add any wood smoke flavor, which is what I was after with the mesquite.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting experiment. Some botanicals put off smoke that is toxic or an allergen, so you might want to be cautious. But people have been hunkering around mesquite for eons, so it was a good prospect.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yeah, I figured I would stick to wood smoke that enhances foods for that reason. I don't know what kind of aromatic trees and shrubs the people across the world use, but they've had centuries to perfect it. Besides, with so many excellent lat blends out there, why try taking sand to the beach? I just like the concept, and wanted to try my hand at it.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Not sure if I'd go that far, but if you're interested, I do have a recipe I developed for a menudo breakfast burrito! And no, I am not kidding.

Reactions: 5150Devon

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Having done something similar you'll need to smoke it for a few days before you REALLY get a solid smoked taste.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
How did you keep the heat low enough to avoid roaching the tobacco? Over-drying was my biggest fear during this experiment. Granted, it was only a $4 dollar pouch of CH, but I was really in it for the learning experience, but the end goal was how to do it with any tobacco, expensive or not.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
How did you keep the heat low enough to avoid roaching the tobacco? Over-drying was my biggest fear during this experiment.
I would think you would need a smoker with the smoke box separate from the fire box.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
"I would think you would need a smoker with the smoke box separate from the fire box."
Yes... and a small pan of water for moisture control. It is definitely an art.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Okay. New idea. I'm going to repeat the same process, but, stealing an idea from Frog Morton's Cellar, I will jar the new blend with a small chunk (1" cube) of partially burned mesquite to kick up the smokiness a notch. I would do it with the batch I already made, but it tastes too good to risk it. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it did turn out accidentally tasty. (I think FMC is the one with a whiskey barrel cube in the tin. If not, feel free to correct me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.