PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
This may be a silly question but I am new so hear me out. Today while I was eating some mesquite flavored beef jerkey and packing my first bowl of the day I thought to myself wouldn't it be great if there was a hickory or mesquite flavored tobacco. Given that these two flavors are smoke flavors I assume there must be mesquite or hickory flavored tobaccos and figured I would ask the most knowledgeable databank of pipe and tobacco enthusiasts I know. So ... are there any hickory or mesquite flavored tobaccos?

Jul 15, 2011
You want smoky flavor in your blends, smoke latakia blends.
If memory serves me correctly, latakia leaf is cured over an open flame which gives it the smoky flavor that latakiaphiles love. I recently talked with JM Boswell on the phone about tobacco offerings at his shop and mentioned that I loved his Northwoods blend. He says to me, "MAN that stuff is good isn't it? It's got that barbecue kind of flavor to it." *hint hint wink wink* :wink:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you like smoky then Latakia blends would be my suggestion. When I smoked English blends and wanted a real full bodied one, I would reach for GL Pease Odyssey. It is a very nice smokey blend loaded with latakia.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I can't think of any tobaccos flavored specifically like what you're asking for and I doubt that most latakia blends would quite fit the bill. I can think of a handful, however, that might do that trick for you.

McClellannd's British Woods

Boswell's Northwoods

GL Pease Maltese Falcon

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
I believe Hearth and Home's "Vermont Meat Candy" has a hickory smoke flavoring (maple and bacon). I've never tried it but quite a few people here have.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Def try the meat candy ... it has the wonderful sweet smokey smell / flavour that reminds you of a bbq

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The hickory smoke flavor in Vermont Meat Candy comes from the dark fired Kentucky that's in it. If you want a real jolt of hickory, you could smoke some straight, but I'd recommend against it as the nicotine content of that tobacco is quite high.
Russ

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
If your are looking for that spicy, fragrant smoke flavor of mesquite/hickory, you might want to try the Club Blend. While it's no Latakia, is has this intense woodsy smoke profile, without the "burnt ash/rubber" that Latakia offers.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I suppose you want a bar-b-que type flavour. Dunhill mm965 has this, but even more so I find is McClellands version of 965.

Status
Not open for further replies.