Merchant Service Special briar pipe as a smoker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I am the proud new owner of an estate Merchant Service Special briar pipe. This particular model was favored by the late Bing Crosby, and I am wondering how it may be as a smoker. Do any of you pipers have this brand and model, and, if so, what say you about it? Please let me know.
Good Luck, and Good Smoking!
HunterTRW

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Ssjones:
In his book titled "Rare Smoke" Richard Carleton Hacker states that this brand was started by a London resident and former Dunhill employee named Herbert Merchant. He goes on to say that it was the preferred pipe of Mr. Crosby during the 1950s, but, unfortunately, is no longer manufactured.
As an unabashed fan of Mr. Crosby, I am eager to see and smoke this pipe! I will try to remember to post an image or two after I refurbish, sanitize, and baptize it by fire with a bowl of Cornell and Diehl's Crooner.
Good Luck, and Good Smoking!
HunterTRW

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very interesting. I found this picture on another pipe forum, it sure looks like Bing's style.
image.jpg

Here's a Reborn Pipes blog entry on two Merchant Services pipes with a little info on the brand.
http://rebornpipes.com/2013/11/16/rejuvenating-a-nicely-grained-merchants-service-apple/

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Always a pleasure to see how all the guys help out with any questions.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I just picked up a pair of Merchant Service pipes, they says standard, not special under merchant service. Both unsmoked, I paid 50 bucks for the two. Oh and they are unsmoked and in the original cellophane, no big deal really... They guy had 3 or them , his last one just went for $70. I would hate to see what they would have gone for if pipe stud or colewright would have had them.

mromagna

Lurker
Aug 4, 2014
@Sparks I'll have to second that, I never seem to find anything as intetesting But @snagstangl is helping me with advice and direction with some of my projects so I have to say it with much respect

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
The ebay seller said they listed another one if I was interested. I then asked if they had any more. It turned out they did have another so I threw out $30 and they took that. I do have a piple of broken, poorley described pipes to match up some of my good finds.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Of note, Bing Crosby himself confirmed his pipe preference was the Merchant Service Pipe made by Holland Penny Limited. Just read it in the Ephemeris from 1971.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have the first Bing Basil made, and it's a great smoker. I've seen him sell a fair amount of them since he started making them last November. I can't recommend any pipe Basil makes high enough, but the Bing is really special.
Here's mine:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
+1. It has become one of my favorite pipes. Perfect size bowl and length to smoke VA flake cool with as little bite as possible. For a long pipe the Basil is extremely light and easy to clench. I have a Mark Trinsky Bing also, but it's slightly longer and heavier and the increased leverage is noticeable in how tight I have to clench it.

Status
Not open for further replies.