PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
So nearly a week after my departure to my first, ever, pipe show I'm reflecting on the stuff that I saw for sale, and the stuff that I couldn't find.
In the latter camp, I was surprised by the lack of pipe & tobacco related hats, shirts, patches & decals/stickers. While companies like Missouri Meerschaum, Smokingpipes.com and Savinelli had some gear availalble, and P&T Magazine was selling shirts with their logo, that was it. I'd have thought some of the other large pipe factories, tobacco companies, and even the bigger clubs (UPCA, NASPC, TPC) might have put some gear together to sell to folks who want to represent their favourites. Especially in an era of restrictions on advertising, having a living breathing (and hopefully reasoning) human walking around with an advertising message can't hurt can it?
In thinking back to the thread here on pipesmagazine.com/forums gear it seemed like there were a fair few forum members who wanted to be able to buy and self-identify as a forum member. I have to think that there's a market for stuff like this at shows. If I think back to every concert I ever attended, there was always a concert t-shirt... it surprised me that I wasn't able to buy a CPCC 2014 shirt.
Am I crazy? Did I miss this stuff because I was blinded by the sheer volume of pipes? What kind of merchandise would you like to find at a pipe show that you haven't/can't?
-- Pat

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Pat,
I have to agree with you here. Whenever I go to a new vineyard, gun show, brewery, etc, I HAVE to get something identifying I was there. It is funny that you say this because you trip over all of the cigar-branding swag you see at most tobacconists. The fact that the show itself didn't have branded hats, shirts, or TOTES to carry your haul in amazes me.
So who should I talk to about this (miserly wringing hands and cackling aloud) for next years show????

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
It could be that they have tried it in years past and it was a money pit for them. I myself rarely buy shirts at events, partly because the shirts are hamster proportioned and I am somewhat Godzilla sized, and partly because I opt to spend my cash on hard product.
I know you have to get your name out there, but with pipes being such a small market if you then take the percentage of people who would buy a club/event/brand shirt, there might too few to justify the minimum order. Now if I could find a nice shirt with Rattray's logo or the Orlik Judge....:)

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
lochinvar is on the right track. While I've only been going for a few years, I'm pretty sure there used to be more "swag" but given the choice between spending money on rare tobacco half the price than it normally sells for on eBay, the PERFECT pipe, a really unique tamper, or a t-shirt/hat, most of the attendees are going to go for one of the first three. Free shirts are one thing (Savinelli and SP.com had free t-shirts) but not all vendors can afford that. Sutliff was giving out free tins, yes, whole free tins and they've done that for many years. I can't speak for you, but I'd rather have a couple free tins than a t-shirt that really isn't to my style/taste anyway. As for the CPCC club, they try to keep the cost reasonable. $15 for a two-day event and there is a free buffet the first night (and it's always really good food actually). $15 freakin' dollars. Most of these cigar events cost upwards of $65 so sure you get loaded down with a bunch of made in China junk that you admire for 5 minutes at the show then toss in your closet to be forgotten (or throw in the trash). I'd rather have that $50 to spend on something I actually want, plus I really think they do everything in their power to make it affordable for the average joe to attend this event. Yes, lodging and transportation aren't cheap, but they work out a discounted rate at the resort hotel, so if you book your flight early enough in advance (one of Southwest's major hubs is Chicago Midway so you can get a flight from just about any mid-size city) this show is amazingly affordable, especially when you consider it's in Chicago and it's the largest pipe-specific show in the world.
Back to the swag, I did buy a Missouri Meerschaum sweatshirt...thought it was pretty cool. :)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Back to the swag, I did buy a Missouri Meerschaum sweatshirt...thought it was pretty cool. :)
Totally! TAB, you and I are on the same page.
I was blown away by all of the pipes, tobacco, tampers and paraphernalia you mention in your post. I spent a tonne of $$ on the stuff I took away from the event, but I might have dropped another $20 on a shirt/hat/hoodie to commemorate the event. I agree entirely that CPCC is doing a marvelous job on a limited gate price, and wouldn't want to see it changed. But could the club produce 250 limited addition, "I survived the Chicago Pipe Show" t-shirts with a slightly out of focus picture of a hazy smoking tent on the back? Probably. Could they flip these for between a 30% and 50% gross margin? Probably. Especially if they sold them at the desk permanently staffed by CPCC volunteers all weekend long.
I smell opportunity knocking... for clubs, for retailers, and for the merchant-minded.
-- Pat

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Pat and Dan, i do agree with you guys and think there should be more merchandise relating to our hobby than currently is being offered not just at the events, but on websites and in B&M's. I agree that yes, pipe smokers are few and far between and we are not a majority by any stretch, even among the already segregated tobacco users as a whole. But i also believe that although fewer in number, we as pipe smokers from my limited knowledge are extremely loyal, passionate and supportive when it comes to our hobby. I think if there was more merchandise available, pipe smokers would buy it and in turn attract new and future brothers of the briar to experience the hobby we all so very much enjoy.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
I'm a (newly joined) club member, so I'll bring up the idea. I know Craig (porshcigar) checks the forums, so I'm sure he'll see this thread too.
I'm not saying you have a bad idea, I just think the club's budget is a little more lean than most people probably realize. Could they make a little bit on shirt sales? Possibly. But there is also the overhead of buying them upfront. I know I would buy one. They had a really interesting logo for the show several years ago that basically made the Chicago skyline out of different pipes...I would have given anything to have had that on a t-shirt...it was cool art.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
That's cool, TAB.
It would be great to have some Chicago Show swag... Regardless of whether the club runs with merchandising, there is still opportunity here for others to capitalize on the absence of gear; even if it isn't CPCC related. Clothing might not be the right piece either... maybe the right merchandise is a collectible pin for folks to put on their pipe-vest (holy cow, I haven't seen that many fishing vests in one room ever!) or hat.
-- Pat

I'm not sure when, but at some point in life, I woke up and had the thought that T-shirts and baseball caps were for kids. I just can't bring myself to wear them. I'm not knocking those that do, I just don't. And, I especially wouldn't want to be a walking billboard for some other company.
I noticed that a few of the younger guys had talked The Briary into buying commemorative T-shirts for their pipe show this year, even though the majority of his customer come in wearing suits, ties, and at the very least polo style shirts. That stack of shirts still set there unsold. I felt bad, so I bought one to use as a rag to wash the car.
Now coffee mugs... different story.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Pat,
I don't have an artistic bone in my body but I can sell ice to Eskimos. Perhaps there is some entrepreneurial/capitalistic opportunities here.......

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm in the process of creating a bobble-head Kevin doll -- if anyone is interested. :lol:

admin.jpg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I had a free tote and coffee cup within five minutes of walking in. I saw hats, t shirts, stickers and pins. I know the CPCC has done the show poster tee in other years. This was my best show for free paper, I picked up a couple of very cool catalogs for my library. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.