PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My son and a friend of his are planning a visit to Memphis for several days in April during their spring break. He's planning to take a tour of Sun Records, maybe visit the Mississippi River Museum or take a Ride on a River boat, and spend time on Beale St, taking in the atmosphere. He's also in search of that famous Memphis barbecue. He asked if I could consult the group mind here for some suggestions of places to eat or to visit. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Bozo's Hot Pit Bar-B-Que in Mason (approximately 42-miles northeast of Memphis off of Interstate Highway 40) has been in business since 1923, and was a favorite of the late author (and former Memphian) Shelby Foote. The address is:

342 Highway 70 West

Mason, TN 38049

If your son is a fan of Mr. Foote, then he might also want to drive by his former residence in Memphis which is located at:

542 East Parkway South

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Hunter,
Thanks for the suggestions and the music! Max will be on foot or bus, so Bozo's will be out of reach for him on this trip. Perhaps something a bit closer? Any Memphis natives got any hidden gems to share?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
sablebrush52:
A quick consultation with a former Memphian friend brought forth the following suggestion in lieu of Bozo's"
Payne's Bar-B-Que

1762 Lamar Avenue

Memphis, TN 38114

Apparently they do not have a Website, but fear not; I am told the 'que is superb!

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Charlie Vergos Rendezvous, Memphis, TN.
A landmark in Memphis since 1948, I love the place, Presidents and potentates, the King and the Killer, Rolling Stones, *NSYNC, and everybody who’s anybody have all been down for a bite. I don't think he will be disappointed.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
sablebrush52:
If your son is a reader, then may I also suggest that he visit Burke's Book Store. Established in 1875, it's a true treasure, and is everything that an honest-to-goodness book store should be. It is located at 1719 Poplar Avenue in Memphis, and its hours are 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday. The phone number is 901.767.6586.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The "Rock & Soul" museum is fantastic. If I had to decide between Rock & Soul and Sun, Rock & Soul wins, hands down. (Sun is cool) This was also recommended to us over the Stax museum (we'll do that next time).

http://www.memphisrocknsoul.org/
Beale Street is always fun, day or night.
We did Tops & Central on this list:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/the-seven-best-memphis-barbecue-joints
And, you have to go to Graceland!

Status
Not open for further replies.