PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I wrote this post while smoking the only pipe of my father's that I own.
He was a WWII vet with a unique story, like everyone who served.
God bless all of you here who are serving or have served.
Suburban Sheepdog: Memorial

Jul 12, 2011
Since the American Revolution, more than 1.3 million American patriots

have lost their lives in the defense of freedom. Today, we will honor all those

who made this ultimate sacrifice.
Today, we can also honor and recognize the families of recent fallen heroes.
So today, let all our pipes blaze to honor all those men and women

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Thank you to all that have and currently serve. Words cannot describe how much I appreciate you. :clap:

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Over the past year I've been chugging through Winston Churchill's six volume treatese on the Second World War. Each volume a phone book. Just finished the Fall of Singapore chapter. On this memorial day I pause to honor those brave men who fell in combat. Not just in WWII, but in all wars. Course I honor our men and not those of the enemy. An important distinction I might add, tho some may fault me in this.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
As a Desert Storm Vet I will silently smoke a bowl in remembrance to all of my brothers and sisters that didn't come back home. I salute you all.
Dan

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
To my grandfather John S. Bruce Sr. who passed away in 1992, and was a pipe smoker when we stayed at the cabin – away from my grandmother ;) Yep, good old Half and Half.
He served on the USS Bunker Hill in WWII. The Bunker Hill was hit by two kamikaze planes on 11 May 1945 near Okinawa. 346 Sailors were killed instantly and 43 others were never found. My grandfather participated in the sea burials for the dead Seamen. They tied 5 inch shell casings to each body and slid them into the Pacific.
He was awarded a Bronze Star for pulling six seamen who were trapped and burning in the front gun turret.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Well, I was hoping to post pics of my Dad... sure wish it were easier....Guess I've gotta go read the instructions again.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
OK, let's try this again...
x_0019-2-437x600.jpg

Dad as an Army Air Corps Cadet, 1940.
lucille-front-2-600x438.jpg

Dad (center) and his P-38, "Lucille", named for my mother, on an Italian island, 1942
f-600x354.jpg

Dad "flying" his desk as Base Commander, Misawa Airbase, Japan, 1952.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Course I honor our men and not those of the enemy. An important distinction I might add, tho some may fault me in this.
I couldn't agree more with this sentiment Kashmir. I've always had trouble with Clint Eastwoods "Letters from Iwo" in that it supposedly depicted heroism in the Japanese soldiers. I say supposedly because I have not and will not watch this movie. I do not carry any hatred for Japan or the Japanese, but I do not see any of those who have fought against the US as heros.
Great story tslex, I truly enjoyed reading about your father.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What a great tribute to your father. I spent yesterday with my father, who is 93 and a WWII vet. He was also stationed in France Field in Panama during the war. I wonder if they knew each other? He moved to an infantry unit at the end of the war and did mop up on several islands but was unharmed. He stayed in the Army for 33 years, and fought in Korea and Vietnam. He retired after his last tour of Vietnam as a SGM. He is legally blind, but has a surprisingly sharp mind.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Al wrote
What a great tribute to your father. I spent yesterday with my father, who is 93 and a WWII vet. He was also stationed in France Field in Panama during the war. I wonder if they knew each other? He moved to an infantry unit at the end of the war and did mop up on several islands but was unharmed. He stayed in the Army for 33 years, and fought in Korea and Vietnam. He retired after his last tour of Vietnam as a SGM. He is legally blind, but has a surprisingly sharp mind.
Al, that's amazing. I think it is certainly possible that they knew each other. It was a big installation, but it's possible. Dad's name was Robert Kuntz (always called Bob). Besides what I have written, he might be memorable because he was VERY tall for the time - 6 feet, 4 inches.
Blessings on your father and please do see if there's a chance your dad knows him as that would be quite a connection across all these years.
Thanks to everyone who read the tribute to my Dad and thanks, too, for sharing some other wonderful stories.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Kahmir wrote:
Course I honor our men and not those of the enemy. An important distinction I might add, tho some may fault me in this.
Complicated and dififcult position in a world where enemies become allies and vice-versa.
It's interesting, too, that although I did not serve in the military, my jobs over the years have brought me into close and repeated contact with many warriors. I didn't find they shared Kashmir's view for the most part, and certainly not after a given conflict has ended.
It seems to me that wars are usually made to happen by national leaders, for their political ends, but fought by much lowlier men. most of those men pass their war trying to stay alive and trying to do their duty. most do both as well and honorably as they can. I think they're due our honor for that reason.
Exceptions abound I suppose, but this seems to me the general case.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Thank you all for these wonderful tributes to your respective fathers.
You've made this day just that more special.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.