Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
memorial-day1.jpg

Solemn Reminder.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
It is always a sad day for me, like to be by myself, smoking my favorite pipe and pondering, not much for parades, lost some buddies and hope we who return are honoring their memories.

Jan 8, 2013
I feel like a lot of people forget that the day isn't about barbecues and big sales. It's a day of remembrance and respect for those who gave their lives for our freedom and defense of our country and our allies countries. Good post, Yohanan.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Except for the aged, whose time has come, any death, and certainly the deaths of serviceman, is both painful and regrettable, especially when dishonorably occasioned.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We drove four hours on Friday evening and I observed dozens of very large flag displays honoring the fallen on Memorial Day weekend. That was inspiring. A raised pipe to those who gave their all.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Thanks for posting this one. It’s always great to see the flag on this weekend. I live in a town home community and last week my new neighbor moved in. He is newly retired army general. Last night he had a huge driveway party for the community celebrating Memorial Day. It was special.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.
Written by a Canadian, John McCrae, who lies with his dead comrades, in France.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Wife cooked this for me it's my Memorial Day meal, babyback ribs, potato salad, jalapeño baked beans, rice dressing as I get older I can only eat a third of that plate, in my younger days I would be going for seconds.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
After the Civil War, it was called Decoration Day because people would decorate the graves of soldiers killed in battle. This is still observed through placement of flags on veteran's graves. Many families make a rite of visiting all of the cemeteries where family members are buried, inasmuch as they can. My wife and I made a tour of five or six cemeteries in rural Missouri with two older relatives, both now gone. As is traditional, we took flowers for each site.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
To Our American Hero’s on this Memorial Day 2018

by Dr. D Wayne Beeks "Gecko13"
Today is Memorial Day, a day on which we remember and give thanks to all our military men and women that paid the ultimate sacrifice in military service of our great nation, both domestically and abroad. It is written in the book of Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 that there shall be a time for everything and purpose:
“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.”
Today, is such a time, a time to remember and give thanks. Let us all take a moment in silence and prayer, giving thanks to those that paid the ultimate sacrifice so we all may enjoy the freedoms we do on this day. May we also take a moment to reach out and say “thank you” to family, friends, and neighbors that served our great country, and to pray for the safety of those serving today; many of which are away from home and in harm’s way.
Thank you, and may God bless you for your service and sacrifice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I put the flag out first thing when I got up, but I had to retire the colors because of rain. Maybe the sun will come back and allow me to fly it until sunset. I have it hanging in my study to completely dry, though it did not get soaked. Had to dry off the pole with a towel. Nonetheless, a good and meaningful Memorial Day to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.