Members Wanted - Review Group

(53 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by briarblues
  • Latest reply from briarblues
  1. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Good Evening All

After reading the post about Escudo / Dunhill Luxury Rolls and a discussion I have had with another forum member about tobaccos, I thought it might be interesting to create a blind pipe tobacco tasting review group. I have been given a green light, by Kevin, for this project.

How this will work is;

4 or 5 forum members volunteer to participate. Please read the whole thing before you jump in and volunteer as it requires the 4 or 5 members to do some work and provide the other members tobacco.

Each month one selected member ( on a rotating basis ) will choose two blends from their cellar. Each of the two blends will be split up into 4 or 5 equal amounts. These samples will be sent to the other members with only a letter A and B on each baggie. No other markings to indicate the blend, or blender. So you will need to part with 2 x 50 gram amounts on your turn.

The sender will let me know the names of the two blends sent. That information I will not share with the tasters, so only the sender and I know what is in bag A and bag B, until the reviews are in.

The forum members that receive the samples will then be required to smoke each sample and submit a review to me and only me. I will provide a basic review form. You may use it and expand if so required.

Once all 4 or 5 reviews arrive, I will post them on the forum, for all to read and comment on afterwards. At that stage I will also post the names of each blend.

I will not be tendering a review, as I will not be a taster. I will only hound the group to submit reviews. And let the next member that will be the sender of blends, who they are.

So if you are interested, it will require you to do possibly 20 reviews per year. Depending on how many people with a max of 5, join in. You will need to be prepared to supply 100 grams of tobacco ( 2 x 50 grams ) 2 times per year.

If you’re not willing to do the above, please do not volunteer.

If you are please email me at mike@briarblues.com

If we get the group created I will provide the first 2 samples to be sent out.

Regards
    Michael J. Glukler

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, that sounds awesome. I would love to participate but unfortunately I am always traveling for work. Great idea Mike!

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really want to do this but my palate is not well developed enough for me to do a great review. Once I am better able to pick out subtle flavors I would love to do something like this.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Email sent

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. philobeddoe

philobeddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Email sent.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This sounds like great fun. I'm in.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like fun, I am in.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Hello Group

We now have five members that have emailed me directly and are willing to participate.

I am only waiting for one to send his address and round one shall soon begin.

Thanks for showing some interest.

Regards
    BB

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

This should be really interesting. Thanks for setting this up, Michael -- and thanks to those who volunteered to participate!

I'm really looking forward to the reviews!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Definitely. This looks to be a lot of fun.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mthanded

mthanded

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a great bit of information that we will all be able to use. Well thought out and unbiased. Are there any requirements, stipulations or consideration for the pipes used and will there be disclosure of the pipes used?

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cajundad

cajundad

Login to Send PM

Im in if you need me Mr. Mike !!

"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan."
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Have fun guys!

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds great.

Is there any chance the reviews could be cross posted to Luxury Tobacco Reviews? The site has a lot of tobaccos with just 1 or 2 reviews and some with none. This could help populate and maybe drive some traffic that way.

Just a thought.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Good Day All

The five participants have been emailed and I have their addresses. This Saturday I will send out 2 samples ( about 2 - 4 bowls of each tobacco, depending on pipe size used ) to each participant. These should arrive within 3 - 4 days at each of their doors. Each will be allowed 2 weeks time to smoke and write their reviews.

Here is a link to a very basic format they will use. http://www.briarblues.com/tobacco-review.htm

This lay out may be altered / expanded on as we get further into this project.

I will also send out shipping labels for each participant, of the others addresses, so the next in line, can easily send out samples.

Many Thanks to all those that emailed and asked to join in, but the limit to do this easily is 5. If someone drops out, or is not able to fullfill the obligations, a space may come available and someone else may step in. If that occurs, I will post the need in the forum.

As far as posting the reviews on other sites, let's go slow. Wait and see how this all melds before we get ahead of ourselves.

To the 5 in the group, I will email you all over the next day or two, so that all are on the same page.

Thanks again.

This should be interesting and loads of fun.

Regards
    BB

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think more of my "obligations" in life should involve mandatory pipe smoking. Looking forward to it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

This should be a lot of fun! I was half-tempted to join, but the thought of getting an OTC aromatic, Lakeland, or even a Latakia blend cooled my heels. Good luck to the tasters!

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. atboth

atboth

Login to Send PM

Hi Michael,

I'm very much looking forward to the results. And, naturally, also looking forward to disagreeing vociferously!

-----ATBOTH
    Boring wafflegab about tobacco.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like fun, but I don't know enough to give a useful review. Great idea.

Winton

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Will be fun trying to guess what they are at the end of the review.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I was half-tempted to join, but the thought of getting an OTC aromatic, Lakeland, or even a Latakia blend cooled my heels.

Bingo!

Looking forward to your reviews -- good luck all!

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am in and looking forward to this. I hope you guys like Virginia and Vapers because that is all I have. I am not an English or aro smoker but have plenty of tasty blends ready to go. The hard part is going to be picking out only two.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds great Cigar, those are exactly what I love! Lets refrain from discussing what we are sending though, the whole point is to not know It helps to love all the kinds when you taste test, there really isn't a type of tobacco that I do not like, as long as it isn't too high in nic and doesn't bite.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great idea...except I think those who hate or dislike aromatics should refrain from reviewing aromatics, those who hate or dislike English Blends should refrain from reviewing English Blends and so on...
    Reviews from these "haters" detract from the overall rating of otherwise excellent tobaccos. Maybe it would be wise to have a team of aromatics lovers, a team of English lovers, a team of VAPER lovers, etc.
    Also the reviewers should know how to prepare their tobacco before smoking. I don't know how many reviews I have read where the reviewer downgraded the tobacco because it was too wet out of the tin or bag. Give me a break!
    Also, I would recommend smoking at least 3 bowls before submitting a review.
    If the reviews are done fairly, by experienced pipe smokers, the tobacco review site will be the one that has the most validity.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That makes things rather complicated flyguy. Much easier to just have every reviewer capable of objectively reviewing all the kinds and bar anyone who can not. Many of us love every kind of tobacco and have favorites in each catagory; after all, isn't the whole point of pipe smoking variety? Even if someone doesn't "love" aromatics, I am sure they can objectively review them with that in mind. Plus how many catagories are you talking about, you can break each catagory into much smaller ones. Aromatics can be crossover blends, strong or weak in flavor, and can be broken down according to the flavors themselves, English's have several varients (Latakia content, orientals, ect...), along with VA's (perique levels & such); we could be talking about a lot of groups here, we could swing it but it would need structure.

I would like to add however that describing the moisture level is more of a way to say how you've smoked it, rather than reviewing how it came, that would be pointless as they come in plastic baggies out of someone's cellar and do not represent the moisture from then tin, many dry out their baccy before storing it, some humidify it a bit before sending it on a long journey via USPS.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Eric wrote: "Even if someone doesn't "love" aromatics, I am sure they can objectively review them with that in mind."

Unfortunately they are not objective. If you can't have different categories of reviewers at least they should be honest and recuse themselves (don't submit a review) if they downgrade a tobacco for no other reason that they do not like that type of tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

From what I can see, how it's set up and the five puffers reviewing will make every effort to be as objective as possible. Will we see all five loving that English? Probably not. Is everybody gonna do back flips on that aromatic? Nope. But we all will be able to read the method and reasoning for their review of each blend. I really like the "blind" aspect to this a lot as well.

I think it's important not to Monday morning quarterback things and just let it go exactly as Michael envisions it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay, I just didn't want to see another tobaccoreviews.com.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I don't see that happening, Fly. After all, we know where most of these reviewers live

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a good idea, fun to do, and informative for the rest of us.

“ Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they please. ”
    — Pythagoras
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@flyguy Looking at the form the answers are really straight forward on what you are smelling, seeing, flavors you taste, how the bowl smokes, and your pipe. None of that is really about personal tastes. The final review is where someone has the opportunity to say for instance… I’m basically a VA smoker, and to me this was…

Oh, and please someone send cigrmaster 1Q and Dansk Black lols.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a great idea. I'm looking forward to seeing the result; As as time goes by this project could provide a lot of valuable info and insight. Hat's off to you Mike for coming up with it and those participating!

Greg
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am smoking sample A as I type and it is very tasty. Thanks Mike for taking the time to set this up, it is going to be lots of fun. When should I send out my samples?

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I finished my sample about half an hour ago and really paid attention to what I was smoking. Normally I light up and just kind of get lost in the flavor and smoke and don't think much about it. I had a word doc open as I was smoking so I could write my impressions as I smoked. It was a very different type of smoking experience. It was fun really thinking about what I was tasting and then trying to put words to it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Good Afternoon All;

I shall try and address each issue that has been raised.

flyguy - think about the organizational skill it would require to arrange specific groups to match tobacco blends. VA ( straight, flake, rubbed out, ribbon cut, cube cut ), VA / Perqiue ( multiple cuts ), VA / Oriental ( multiple cuts ), VA / Oriental / Latakia ( multiple cuts ), VA / Burley, with combos of prior, VA / scented, straight Burley, Aromatics ( chocolate, mint, fruit ( multiple varieties ), floral ) and on and on.

flyguy - each reviewer gets 10 grams of each of the two blends for each round. 10 grams = 2 to possibly 4 bowls, which is enough for a very basic review. To do a full review, one really requires 50 grams.

Eric - blends that bite will vary for each of us. Personally, I am unable to enjoy any blend with even a hint of Burley. I get an immediate back of the tongue palate bite / sting.

Aromatics - I suggest that to begin with we avoid sending aromatics as the blends to be reviewed. Let's cool our jets and see how this develops.

Remember I will not offer reviews, the reason being, I get to read the others reviews prior to posting and their impressions might taint mine. Plus I clean enough pipes each week. The last thing I need is to add to that work load by trying to remove flavors from my daily pipes, and I am not prepared to purchase and break in pipes dedicated to various tobacco styles, just to write reviews.

This will not be like tobaccoreviews.com. trc does not have a set format for the reviews sent in. It does not require the reviewers to have any knowledge of what they are reviewing. I have read too many in which the reviewer states incorrect information about what was "in the blend" they smoked. This way, in the end it is an even playing field for the reviewers. No tin / tobacconist description to offer any anticipation of what is about to be smoked.

Humidity may vary. Each reviewer may find what arrives too dry or too moist for their preference and may choose to alter the humidity. Also climate plays a roll. Those is hot humid climates will find blends "react" differently than those is cool / colder dry climates.

As far as Harris and what he will not smoke ..... no worries. As I type, I am blending a special for Harris. A Latakia based, cherry, chocolate, mint, blend with hints of red Virginia, Deers Tongue ( dried crushed vanilla leaf ), a splash of Tonquin bean, and to finalize the blend it will be liberally sprayed with Lemon Pledge as a binder. If he chooses not to smoke it, he can put it in a nice glass dish and use it as a potpourri.

I will let the next reviewer in the queue, when to send their 2 samples.

Regards
    BB

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good stuff Your aromatic had me going for a little bit, thanks for the laugh!

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was fun really thinking about what I was tasting and then trying to put words to it.
    I keep a small notebook that I write all details about a blend that I am trying for the first time, usually I'll document the first 5 or so bowls, with everything from packing method to time of day... after that I pretty much just light up and get lost in whatever im smoking.

Can wait to hear everyones results

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, that sounds delicious, can't wait to try it. lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Good Day All;

The last member of the group has their samples in hand. Once the members have written their reviews, please email them to me.

Once all are in, I will post them in the forum.

Regards
    BB

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How long do we have to send in the reviews? I am really enjoying this experiance. You said two weeks earlier, so I am guessing two weeks after the last person recieved their samples? A week per sample sounds perfect as I only smoke a bowl a day, less than that if something bites hard and requires recovery time. So far so good, no bite.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Good Day Eric and reviewers.

What? You mean you haven';t smoked all the samples and written reviews yet? You've had the samples for at least 24 hours. LOL

I would like all the reviews at my end by Jan 31. That allows each of you 2 weeks with the samples.

Harris, please send out your 2 samples on Jan 28 or 29. They should arrive at the others by the end of the week, or early the week following.

Regards
    BB

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Will do Mike.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I SO want to be in this, so if a spot opens up -- I'm ready, able and very motivated!

If someone else wants to start another like this, or with a different criteria I don't really see a conflict. Just more great things the site has to offer members. Especially new members that are far from new to smoking, I've been a pipe and cigar smoker for over 20 years and know a lot about the golden leaf, its many changes over the years, and love talking and writing about it.

As a new member of the site I'd feel over stepping my bounds to volunteer, but I see that there are enough people that didn’t get in the group interested. I think another, the same or different is worth a go. Any thoughts on this from established old timers?

Craig

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Good Day All

It looks like we're almost ready. 4 of the 5 reviewers have submitted their reviews. Only one remains not done. Hopefully by tomorrow, so they can be posted on Saturday.

It is fascinating as I read the reviews that are in. 4 different people have tried the 2 blends and no 2 reviews are the same. Similar, yes and also opposite.

Some may wonder why I asked to include pipe used in the review. Once you read the reviews you will see why, and I will probably explain that further prior to posting the reviews and letting all know what was reviewed.

Regards
    BB

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I eagerly await the posting. This was fun and I look forward to the next round.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't for the results.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  47. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

briarblues:

I missed this thread when it began, but just caught up and it sounds really really interesting. Thanks so much for doing the "heavy lifting" to get this off the ground!

One question: Where will the reviews appear, once they're posted? On the main Home page? Or in a forum?

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Writing up the review right now! Have it done within a half hour or so. Started this new job which has been crazy, just getting used to the hours right now. It won't really impact my ability to review blends, but it did cause me to use up all the time I had available, that and the extreme cold forced us to figure out how to heat up our smoking patio and we got a solution! Powerful burners that run on propane. Now smoking on those 10 degree days are possible!

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last review is away, look forward to seeing what they turn out like!

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Hi Bob

They will be posted in the Tobacco Review area.

BB

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, I found it today -- and thoroughly enjoyed reading the reviews.

Are you keeping the reviewers' names hidden intentionally? I've definitely found one reviewer who seemed to stand out to me, and I do want to pay attention to that person's specific point of view regarding future tobaccos. It would be great to put a name to him (I'm assuming they're all "hims").

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Hi Bob

At this stage I have chosen to keep the names kept within the group. The reviewers have each others names for shipping purposes. I will try and make sure that next time the reviewers "number" will match up, so you can all follow #1, #2, 3# etc.

Regards
    BB

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   thedudeabides, boilermakerandy, dottiewarden, deuce26, stephenw, jessicac, dawnpiper, bluesmk, billypm