PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Member "Brass" and I live in different parts of Maryland and hoped to meet sometime this summer. Pax is an avid fly fisherman and was working a stream in my area yesterday, so he dropped by my home in between sessions. We hit it off immediately (as I knew we would from phone calls and emails). It's always great to meet a fellow pipe smoker and I hope to get down to Pax area this summer to meet some of his smoking friends. We had a very nice morning, enjoying some pipes and fellowship. I showed Pax my restoration bench and we gave one of his Savinelli's a stem tune-up. Perhaps the shined pipe brought him some better luck on the stream than in the morning.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
It is nice to see mods/members and especially these two who do so much to make this a great place.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That's a pipe warming story right there. Nice to see fellows being fellows and sharing some leaf.

By the way, what brand camera was used? Impressive! To subject a camera to that kind of abuse and still get an image! :mrgreen:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
It's always great to share a bowl with people we meet on here, I'll bet the pipe show meet ups are fun!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@ssjones & @brass, looks like a good time,
I've met one forum member offline at a local pipe meet up last year, @troutface. Good times. Need to get out to another meet up again sometime but I'm not only time poor but cash poor now as well until Fall.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Also, @brass looks like one of the old E-6s I worked with in the Navy. Old battleship guy who retired as an E-6 because the Chiefs Mess (E-7+) would never have him.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interesting you should ask Shankletown.
If you know Pax, he's a fan of ANY and All pipe blends. If you know me, I have a narrow range, like one line of a railroad track - MM965. I tempted Pax into a bowl of that blend and some GLP Cumberland from 2008 (or so).
He had a 2004 tin of SG Kendall Kreme. I'm so picky, had I read about the blend, I would have politely said "no thank you" (Burley, lightly topped). Pax showed me a easy way to do flake and I just packed and lit up my new Jameson's 9438. It was quite pleasant and he left the remainder with me, in fact I'm considering a bowl right now!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 for @brass generosity. Same guy sent me samples for this month's pax crawl to keep me onboard. Good dude.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Pax is an avid fly fisherman and was working a stream in my area yesterday..."
So how was the fishing?!?! :)
P.S.: It is always heart-warming to read that such meetings go well. Good on both of you, and thank-you, Al, for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.