PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I'm still brand new to pipe smoking, which will soon be abundantly obvious. As I have been reading through various threads and posts I have seen such sayings as a "sweet smoking pipe" and a "pipe break in period" or even a getting pipes to "mellow out." What am I missing here? I know that you have to form a cake, or not depending on where you stand on bowl cake. But what does it mean to have a sweet smoking pipe? Forgive my naivety on this subject.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
After some lengthy experience, you'll know when you smoke it. It's a combination of the right pipe, blend, a polished loading techniques and enough experience. Once you find a blend you enjoy, complete the learning curve (not that difficult), one day you'll have a particularly sublime bowl and realize you've found a "sweet smoking" pipe.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Most pipes, particularly new pipes only get better the more they are smoked. With some pipes this can be quite noticeable at a certain point in the pipe's life but in my experience it is a very gradual improvement.
I bought a new Parker last year that smoked ok right out of the box, nothing special but ok. Now I've smoked circa 30 - 40 bowls in it I can honestly say it's a great smoker!
I would suggest a good cleaning routine also helps matters, especially getting the gunk out of the shank with a bristled pipe cleaner dipped in pure alcohol once in a while.
Welcome to the forum by the way :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.