Meet Betty

(28 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by rangerearthpig
  • Latest reply from piperl12
  1. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had a couple comments on my avatar. It does have drag PIPES, so I would think it qualifies for a general topic on a pipe forum.

Gents, meet the other lady in my life: Betty Boop. She's a 1988 Evo Sportster, bored to 1200cc, on a rigid frame. I'm not normally much into chrome, but it just adds to the 50's look I like in an old style bobber.

I don't have the money to spend on classic cars or street rods, so this is my fix. Scored her for $4000, and she has been worth every penny. We make the local car shows when we can.

RLTW!
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful machine.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Cajun: Thank you, Sir!

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great lookin bike! Although that rigid frame makes my back hurt just by looking at it, lol!

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. oldredbeard

oldredbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sweeeeet!!! Sporsters make excellent bobbers. My last one was many years ago, an iron head, left side shift four speed on a rigid. Thanks for sharing the full size pics.

I'm not complaining.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@pete & redbeard: Thank you, kind sirs.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm a fan of bobbers, so there is lots to like there:
    - shotgun pipes - my absolute favorite on an HD
    - closepin springs!
    - Z-bars
    Cool!

Here's my bobber, a '66 Triumph Bonneville. Hardtail (+2")frame, no battery. Biltwell bars and seat. The picture in my avatar is the seat and my favorite AC/DC song, it's actually quite comfortable to ride, as long as watch out for potholes and railroad tracks. It is loud, leaks oil like a sieve and gets me puzzling looks from the yuppie riders in my town, but thumbs up from the old guys. My buddy and I built it in his shop.

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a sweet ride Ranger. I love the white wall tires on the red rims.

Jerod
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. captainian

Frater Johan

Login to Send PM

gotta love a masculine bike! my uncle has one of these

(just a similar found on the web i dont have the original in a photo)

i loved to ride shotgun as a child heheehee

Oh Lucifer take my hand!
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never been one for Harleys but that is a damn nice custom. I have one of the few goldwing cafe bikes and love the nostalgic look on bikes.

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ssjones: Nicely done! Old school, old school, old school. LOVE IT!

@capt: That sidecar is SWEET!

Thanks for the compliments, all.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful Bike

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. martiniman

martiniman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice, welcome aboard......

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ Martini and Teddy:
    Thank you, sirs.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love that 50's bobber look! Nice job. I ride bicycles as well as motorcycle so I've got no problems with a hardtail setup. The Sportster just simply works in that configuration.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. tamer291

tamer291

Login to Send PM

Very nice bike.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. tobyducote

NOLA Cajun

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love your ride..gonna have to post a pic of ,one now...

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Ranger, I spent some time with you guys when I was in the Canadian Airborne Regiment back in the 80's at Fort Benning. We did an exchange and jumped with you guys. Got my American wings that week. Great guys, great party. Proud to wear my Ranger wings on my uniform. Love the bike, I have a sporty too, not a Bob but she is my "other woman". Welcome to the board these guys are a great bunch.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. anglesey

anglesey

Login to Send PM

Gorgeous engine bud. Used to have similar pipes on a 750 virago, made the sound like the devil, I'm glad you dont live near me :p I'm jealous, I'd love to give that a spin on a summers day, though not on the roads round here with that frame!

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks again for the compliments. She's a fun ride.

@piperl12: Great looking bike, amigo! We may have crossed paths. I was also in during the 80's. But, a party at Ft. Benning? With Rangers? Do they have those? Thanks for your service!

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And for yours as well Ranger, I think the place we were taken too was called the Cannon or Cannon pub. Something like that. The details are fuzzy. Although I did do the dance of the flaming a$$hole on a table there just prior to us being asked to pack it in for the night. We got a short bus back to the base and sang Ranger cadences through the gate. Was a great week. Great people and I came away with a great respect for the American fighting men and jumpers in general. About 6 months after that we had some guys up to CFB Petawawa to get there Canadian wings. I'll see if I can find some of the pics and post them.

Rangers Lead the Way!
    Fair Winds and Soft Landings Jumper!

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

piperl12:

Way off topic, but Ft. Benning hosts the Ranger Rendezvous every two years, when the 75th Ranger Regt. has its regimental change of command. The event last seven days and starts off with a magnificent Mass Tac jump by two of the battalions. Rangers from WWII, Vietnam, and every engagement since attend, as well as the active duty battalions who are not deployed.

The week includes competitions between battalions: soccer, football, mixed martial arts, boxing, combat shooting, etc.; a banquet in one of the old hangars; Ranger Hall of Fame Induction ceremony; a Ranger Memorial ceremony; a static display of current weaponry, and lots of other events.

The next one will be in the summer of 2015, probably around August. You should come down for one. You would have a blast and would most certainly be welcome. I've met some outstanding warriors there and made many new friends.

Here are a few quick pics of some previous Rendezvous gatherings.

No Ranger gathering would be held without the old "coin check."

It's pretty impressive to see the sky blanketed with airborne troops, non-stop for about an hour and a half!

These two heroes were in 2nd Battalion, and hit the beach at Point Du Hoc, Normandy on D-Day. Amazing gentlemen and an honor to meet.

These youngsters are the studs in today's Army. Very impressive young men. The Ranger in the red shirt is Leroy Petry, who received the Medal of Honor in 2011 from President Obama. I'm the fat guy with the sunglasses on my cap and the mustache.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful bike. I've wanted a sportster since I was a kid.

Much respect and many thanks to the soldiers.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 years ago #
  24. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Anthony.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

O.K. for all you non-Airborne types on the forum reading this thread, going way off topic here but due to the fact that Ranger has issued a coin challenge although this is the first one that I have ever gotten over the internet and I am a cheap SOB that likes my beer, I had to respond. For those that do not know what a coin challenge is here is the skinny. When you complete your jump course and are sent to the Regiment or in the Americans case a Ranger Battalion you are issued a serialized coin. It is the pride of every Airborne Soldier and proof of his service in an elite unit. Standing orders says he must carry it with him at all times. It cannot be drilled and worn on a chain with his dog tags. It must be presented upon demand, which traditionally is by another Airborne Soldier laying his down on the table or showing it in some way. To not respond with a display of your coin requires a forfeit of some type usually a round of drinks or if you are on base and cannot provide a beer 50 pushups might do. Now if you are challenged as in this case and the other trooper is able to provide or show his coin the challenger must buy the challenged a beer. So Ranger, when we meet up some day, I like Guinness lol. Oh and one other item, to walk into a Ranger bar, or Airborne bar in Canada with an Airborne shirt and not be able to show your coin will normally result in you losing the shirt, as well perhaps a few teeth. So here is my coin, forgive the ugly mug behind it its almost midnight here.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

That's pretty cool! My brother did the Ranger Advance Camp before getting the boot by then President Clinton (he was a captain). Ranger school damn near killed him, (150 started, less than 20 finished). I think it was 16 weeks? (Desert, Mountains and swamp). I don't know if he has a Ranger coin, but I'll check or 50 push-ups is coming. I can still take him, if I get the first shot, and then run...no wait, he's much faster them me, that first shot better be a good one!

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@piperl12:
    Brother, if we ever link up, I'll buy you TWO pints of Guinness....one for the coin check debt and one for being uglier than me! Very good and complete explanation, by the way.

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Ranger, I was really good looking before being dragged 100' behind a T10 Rig. I decided the instructor didn't know what he was talking about and felt feet and knees together was just a suggestion LOL. Well, that ended my chances at an acting career and created the facial features you see today Looking forward to taking you up on that beer someday!

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   3rdguy, pitchfork, burleyboy