PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've already put the wife on notice: "If there's a fire I'm taking the dog and the Nørding. You're on your own."
I bought this pipe sometime around 1967, and it's been a faithful companion, comforter, and object of my affection for over 40 years. Lighting it up, therefore, is something special. More than just a reliable smoker, it is a contact point with my history. Or should I say our history.

Nording1.jpg

Nording2.jpg

Nording3.jpg

Nording4.jpg

Nording5.jpg

Nording6.jpg

Nording7.jpg

Nording8.jpg

It's stamped with a "B", which probably represents Nørding's grading system, that ran from low to high: A B C D & extra at the time this pipe was purchased. Afterwards an F grade was added which, I believe, was/is inferior to the A.
Okay, so the grain is mixed; and not terribly pretty. Neither am I. I suppose that's one of the reasons we've gotten along so well all these years.

pipegangster

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2009
Upstate NY
That is a very sweet looking pipe! I met Mr. Nording at a pipe show in Albany, NY in 2005. I got my pic taken with him and his autograph as well. The pic is still up on Habana Premiums web site(pipesandcigars.com) to this day under The customer service button. Of course I had to buy one of his free hands while I was there ;-).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks Brandon,

I heard that Nørding is quite an inventor too. I have another Nørding that is machine made, with a shellac-like finish; but it smokes very nicely. The shape is a ¼-bent Author.
The conventional wisdom is that pipes with finishes such as shellac, paint, etc., should be avoided because they don't allow the briar to "breathe." But I have five such pipes and I don't notice any difference from the naturally finished pipes. Perhaps my rotation is large enough to rest them sufficiently. It is also possible that, thru the miracle of modern chemistry, pipemakers have found a coating that allows the pipe to breathe. The alternative conjecture is that such pipes are condemned to a relatively short life (whatever that may be.)
Does anyone have experiences or opinions regarding pipes with non-natural finishes?

Would such a finish deter you from buying a pipe that appealed to you in all other respects?

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The conventional wisdom is that pipes with finishes such as shellac, paint, etc., should be avoided because they don't allow the briar to "breathe." But I have five such pipes and I don't notice any difference from the naturally finished pipes.
Keep in mind there is a difference between shellac and stain. Shellac will block the pores in the wood and not allow it to breathe. Stain, on the other hand, will add a color, whether it be green or brown (which will look like a natural wood color) and allow the pipe to still breathe.
The green Nording pipe above is stained green. I think green stained pipes were most popular in the '70s.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Thanks for introducing us to your old friend. That is a great looking pipe and its age adds that much more character

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Kevin said
Keep in mind there is a difference between shellac and stain

Right. The pipe pictured above has only stain and carnauba wax.
The other pipes to which I subsequently referred were shellac'd (or varnished, whatever,) and a couple of them were "clear," not blasted. I really don't think I would have purchased them if I had known that, but they were online purchases. I tried them, they seemed to be OK, and they're smoking as sweetly as any other pipe I own.
I was wondering if others had similar reservations and experiences with, shall we say, "coated" pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.