Meerschaum From My Mother In Law, Info About It And How To Clean?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

exibar

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
hi all!

My Mother in law bought me a nice Meershaum pipe for Christmas, she paid $10 for it at a local antique store. I think it looks great and I'm happy to have it.

Hoewever, I've never cleaned a Meershaum before and I dont' want to damage it in any way. Anyone have any tips as to how to clean the pipe? I can clean the stem easy enough usuing the "usual methods" of pipe cleaners and alcohol. I have a retort available, but not sure if I should use a retort on a fragile pipe such as this.
Also, I've seen Meershaum pipes sell for upwards of $300. This pipe has no markings on it at all, could anyone ID this pipe for me? It would make her day if she paid $10 for a hundred+ dollar pipe :) Me, I'd at least like to ID it to know what I have.
thanks all!

Mike B
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles.

Thank you Robert.

exibar

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
Here are the pictures of the pipe mentioned above. thanks for the help all!
iQtNbDT

G84o3Lr

RI7lOGY

5uJU33Y

AT80xWD

k2oDpEk

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Not seeing the pictures. Try adding the file extension (assuming. jpeg) at the end of the pasted urls.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Right click on the photo icon and select "view image."
What do you want to clean? Inside the bowl? The shell.
The pipe looks to be in the $100.00+ range. I say that without any reference in the photo to show the size. The outer shell looks as though the pipe has been smoked a bit. If there is "cake" gently, with little bites, remove. Other than that a quick cleaning of the bit and you should be set to go.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's amazing how family including in-laws will come up with beautiful gift pipes. Back in the 1970's, my late wife's aunt (my wife was alive then) gave me a beautiful Bari bent billiard, a great pipe still going strong. It's a Danish pipe, no longer made, but well-worth looking for as an estate pipe. Full-size and stout, but not heavy, very fine.

exibar

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
Thank you for the replies, I guess using alcohol on a q-tip gently will not hurt the Meershaum to clean it?
dunno hat happened about the pictures here they are again this time (I can't edit the original posting for some reason, must be time locked?
VuT0LNR.jpg

RKjqwpD.jpg

yjfxBeC.jpg

b3ssvnC.jpg

ViRwaE8.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm still not sure on what it is exactly you want to clean. The outer bowl looks fine. The inner bowl appears clean enough to smoke. I've used a slightly damp, water only, cotton cloth to wipe down a bowl with dirt on the outer shell. Never used a liquid of any type inside the bowl. If it needs cake removal, yours doesn't seem to require that, I'd go after it with a knife.
What is your goal exactly?

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I use cotton Q tips and warm water. Never clean the bowl directly after smoking, the meerschaum can be soft due to obsorbing moisture. Enjoy coloring that it.

Status
Not open for further replies.