PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hi, I've been looking at a few Turkish made full block Meerschaums with delrin push/pull fittings. My practicality side is telling me to go with a smooth billiard style while my artistic side likes viking, skull and Indian heads in a 3/4 bend. Unfortunately, I can't afford both. What to do??

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I personally prefer a smooth finish Meerschaum because I like the way they especially color beautifully over time. The carved ones will too for sure but I like the smooth ones. I have an IMP meer that is a lattice and it is an awesome smoker. I also have a smooth Altinok churchwarden. Perhaps for now pick the one that appeals the most and go with the second one at a later date? Just a thought.

My pipe bucket list has a hand carved dragon Meer at some point in the future space/time continuum.

Just my 0.02 cents worth.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How bout in between: a traditional billiard, apple, etc. shape, but with a pattern carved into the bowl and perhaps stem?

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I have a popcorn finish and a smooth one, they just felt better in my hand. Both are great smokers. The over done carvings to me would seem to be annoying to hold, but each to their own.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I'm in the "Prefer the smooth" camp, but if you like carved, get a carved. The carving won't impair the functionality at all. That's the great thing about pipes in general - functional art

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I'm a clencher. The figurals are usually kind of heavy for that. So I go for traditional shapes. A little texture or interesting carving is fine. But my favorites are smooth.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Love My Frog.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks for sharing Brad. Never thought a frog could look so cool!
Are you talking about the pipe or the smoker???????? 8O
Just kidding man! That is one awesome pipe!

stewartu

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2012
I think the alure of meerschaum is the tradition of carving. Go for a carved one.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Thanks, I'm going to start with a latice version. Still searching...

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Ha, I agree that some of these big, heavily sculptured meerchaums are more for collecting than smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.