PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
Sorry guys but I still have a lot of questions about my meer. How often should I be waxing it and can I wax it too much? Thanks for all of the help so far guys!

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I wax mine every few smokes to let the wax absorb into the meer. When I waxed it every smoke it just became waxy and sticky.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I hope to be getting my first meer soon. keep getting sniped on ebay, look like i'm going to a maker....
Keep asking the meer questions so I don't have to..... :D

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
I have waxed it twice now. It's a little sticky but not too bad. No color yet really that I can tell except for the bowl. Every time I smoke it I can't believe how cool they smoke! Loving it so far.

@ Martiniman if you do decide to buy one new from an artisan I can honestly say it will still be worth the money.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
love my meer,ggod luck in finding a nice new schaum. My one and only is taking a long time to get a nice patina, but it is coming along. Always enjoy smoking it.

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
@frennchy11 How much do you smoke out of it?
Well I got it about a week ago and have been smoking it once or twice a day. I know that it will take some time to color but I am mostly just trying to make sure to keep a good coat of wax on it.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I own a meer that is coloring nicely. I would say just wax it like every 20-30 bowls. The wax can absorb dirt from your hands and that can make it look not so good. Smoke it as often as possible, remember they are not like briar and don't need to rest. Just make sure you keep it clean and don't build cake. If you do build cake remove it as soon as it cools, don't want to crack the bowl. After your initial 20-30 bowls, apply the wax while the bowl is warm. Once its cooled buff the wax up to a shine with a cotton cloth and then let the pipe sit for a week to a month and you will see the patina coming through. Good luck.

2012-05-23080534_JacksonvilleBeach_Florida_US.jpg

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
@tokerpipes.
Once its cooled buff the wax up to a shine with a cotton cloth and then let the pipe sit for a week to a month and you will see the patina coming through. Good luck.
Dont smoke it for a week to a month? :(

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
@ martiniman

I only suggest it because you want the bees wax to wick the tar to the surface. Its all personal prefference. I did it and the patina on the pipe I pictured went from a 1/8 inch stripe to a 3/4 inch stripe. But I say it was worth it to see that much coloring. I haven't let it rest since the initial 30 boles and the 2 weeks I let it rest. It gets at least 2-3 bowls a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.