PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

treebarksap

Lurker
Jan 7, 2013
After a decade of pipe smoking, I picked up my first meerschaum. It was to be a storient pipe, but the pipe from meerschaummarket.com got to me first. I picked it up through their e-bay store and had it in my hands within 2 days! It's coming up to the two month mark waiting for Storient! To be fair, Yavuz has at least been responding to e-mails and from the comments here, I'm hoping the quality will be similar to what I've got now and worth the wait. At any rate, this one was from I. Baglan and the quality is very impressive. In two days I've run through my favourite virginia blends of Full virginia flake, Dunhill flake, Hal o' the wynd, and Marlin flake. While I enjoy my briars, keep them very clean, well rested and maintained, I was taken by surprise at the quality of smoke from a meerschaum. Each blend seems to have a much wider spectrum of flavour and new things that were always in the background now 'pop' out. My briars are good ones, with some dunhill pipes and other quality factory jobs with good reputation like Savinelli, but I have to admit that I should have got a good meerschaum like this a long time ago.

I'm trying not to be biased, as it is a new pipe and we're all usually infatuated with the latest acquisition, but I'm still surprised at the quality of the smoke compared to my quality briars and it's impossible to ignore. They just don't compare! I won't put the wood to rest, but I can already imagine this one (and the storient pipe when it gets here one of these months) will be the go to pipe for a flavour explosion. The minimal resting period is also pretty convenient.

Has anyone else seen their collection of briars fade into the background after acquiring a meerschaum? I just can't believe the flavour, even with mixing tobaccos in the same pipe.

For any new pipe smokers, I think I would recommend a quality meerschaum before getting into a briar rotation. I think it might be easier with less variables for rotation, cleaning, etc. and the flavour seems to jump out a lot more. I didn't know what I was missing out on for the past 10 years! Maybe it was a lucky strike, or maybe it's just a testament for one of the oldest smoking instruments still being made after the introduction of briar. I can't speak to the pressed meerschaum and the very cheap options, but I'm tempted to pick one up to compare. I can't see why a pressed meerschaum pipe would have a different flavour, but maybe I'm missing something. I think that it is probably somewhat close. This one was $200, but compared with some of the briar options, it's not really that expensive and my instincts are that there is more value in a meerschaum or two that don't need rest rather than a large rotation of mediocre pipes to keep them well rested and cool.

Just a hunch, really, but if you're starting out and don't have a huge budget, I'd try and get my hands on a meerschaum that you like the look of and see what happens!
Happy puffing!
568414787_o.jpg

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I have recently started smoking the ole sea foam myself and for the the value of Meerschaum combined with the quality of the smoke and the beauty of the piece makes for one a fantastic pipe. I can spend 200.00 on a great looking pipe like the one you have above and have a piece of ever changing art that will last a life time or I can spend that 200 on a briar pipe that might look like hundreds of others made. To get a unique and artistic briar pipe I'd need to spend 3 or 4x's the amount.. I'm currently putting my pennys back for one like the one you got. I want a claw holding a lattice bowl or just a well done lattice bowl.

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
Hello Treebarksap,

That is exactly what has happened to my pipe smoking lately. I have some very fine briars, but they are now rarely smoked in favour of one of my meershaums. Nothing can beat the experiance of the full aroma/flavor that can be savored in a meershaum. It is no wonder so many people rave about the good old corn cob Missouri meershaum. Even my Grandmother smoked and loved them !

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Yavuz I've been on you guys site every day since I joined. Really digging a lot of them once I get my funds together I'm going to hit you up..

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Ah another falls for the White Goddess. I love meerschaum too. Thats a beauty you got. I got a Storient on the way too. You should look at giving a gourd calabash. They smoke better then a meer I'd venture to say. However, they must be dedicated to one type of blend, as they ghost. A meer won't ghost. Here's my favorite meer:
I got this off ebay for around 45-50 bucks. It has a huge bowl and a nice patina.

KGrHqJHJCoE9NpbhhBPTEfDfcqw60_35.jpg

treebarksap

Lurker
Jan 7, 2013
It's interesting I'm not the only one to start favouring the meerschaum. We'll see how it continues, but so far it's looking positive.

My name is Greg Escott, but I'm thinking of having it changed to Treebarksap :) Kidding... but it's nice to get to choose your own name for a change.

I won't slag your company in a public forum, Yavuz, it's just some lighthearted banter as I've been eagerly anticipating the quality that comes from a storient pipe for awhile. For all the listeners, I chose storient for the first purchase because of the first rate reputation here. It's just worked out that the other one got here first and while they don't post to these forums, I'll give them a well earned plug for a job well done.

Anyhow, back to the heart of the thread, the quality of a meerschaum is delightfully impressive, and whomever you choose to get your wares from, I'd recommend finding a nice meerschaum before you waste 10 years like I did!

1coolsmoke

Lurker
Feb 9, 2012
That is a great looking pipe you have treebark.i also purchased one from meerschaummarket and it smokes great.I'm also anxiously awaiting the arrival of a storiant pm poker it was mailed on the December 28th not sure how long it takes to ship from turkey,But i'm sure the wait will be worth it.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I had to wait the best part of 3 months for my Storient. Now that I have it, I can confirm it was worth every minute...

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I got my first real meer for Christmas, a Dublin style from SMS. It's a dream to smoke. Within the past three months I also picked up three clays: one Pamplin bowl with a reed stem, one modern reproduction tavern pipe and an unsmoked TD style pipe I picked up in an antique shop for $5.00. I have some really nice briars from Savinelli and Boswell, but I must admit that I've been reaching for the clays and the meer much more ofter than the briars. Aside from the very different flavor experience as compared to briar pipes, the clays and the meer smoke bone dry right to the bottom of the bowl, with none of the dreaded dottle that wastes tobacco while at the same time gives an unpleasant smoke as you near the bottom. I'm definitely a convert to clay and meer, although I'm not giving up on my briars (I'm just smoking them less frequently).
BTW Treebarksap, that is one gorgeous pipe you have there!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm one who prefers meerschaum, too. I waited about 2 months for my Storient PM2012 (Seems like the longest wait is on these and the LVCs) but like I said in my video, once it shipped, it got to me fast. It is better engineered than either of my other meerschaums, very well drilled. If you watch my videos, I always have the Storient, especially when trying a tobacco for the first time.
Like Yavuz mentioned, if you order an in-stock pipe, it will get to you very fast. Wait time goes up quite a bit if it has to be made, beacuse they are all hand carved, of course, and each part (stem and even case) has to be made for the pipe, so you're talking about 2 or 3 different people being involved in the making of each pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.