PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I'm not sure if it is really necessary. Then you would have a meer subforum and then and every other kind of pipe subforum. I don't think that the amount of discussion regarding meers is gunking up the works regarding any of the other pipes. I don't even explore the sub forums unless I'm making a post to ensure it's in the right place. Others may but where do you draw the line. I seriously doubt there is enough content regarding other types of pipes and where does the seperation stop; is there a division under maintenance etc. because the pipes are different or then would you post all meer treatment questions under meer not maintenance. I think the site is great as is; why add any more confusion and as my father says, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I want a clandestine merchandizing sub-forum.

Plate.jpg

I'm pushing for a naughty pipes sub-forum too.

fem_cruche2.jpg

...and then there's the Pipe Smokers With Silly Walks sub-forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I was actually wondering just last night why we don't have a pipe making sub-forum. Even if it was just a couple stickies regarding materials/ tools/ how-to videos, etc. I guess it would sort of fall until repair and maintenance, but not really. I know you don't want a bunch of people posting here with pipes they make for sale, but hobby pipe making is another aspect of the pipe life that would interest and possibly benefit quite a few members or would be members. I know there are other forums out there just for pipe making, but damnit Kevin you've made such a great one here I don't ever want to leave!

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
@Cortez :rofl:
@tjameson that seems like a pretty good suggestion; it's another font of information entirely. And the pipes forum posts tend to get filled up with those questions and comments any time you see a pipe someone made.

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
I know i'm relatively new here but I honestly think that there are to many sub forums to begin with. It happens on online forums, people think it is a good idea and it may be, but more often than not sub forums only divide the activity and slow down momentum of the forum.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I think a sub-forum for meers is a good idea. Meerschaum pipes are a world in and of themselves and it would make it easy to find info if it was all gathered together. May as well give those cobs a place of their own too- under the basement steps...Just kidding! I like a good corncob smoke too.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think sub forums are great to concentrate like information. I just don't like it where it is not open to the public. The fact that I had to create an account, have a minimum number of posts and request to be a member of the meer sub-forum on smokers forum is BS. I quit going there because of that crap.
I think a meer sub-forum would be good as maintenance, restoration and smoking them is all different then briar. I thin kthe sub-forum for pipe making is an even better idea.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
While it might not be entirely needed at this point - there not really being enough meer talk to warrent its need - it might actually help to stir up additional meer traffic. Perhaps have a sub-forum to catch all the specialty traffic, such as clays, etc...but then again, I don't really have a dog in the fight.
I do like the idea of a pipe-making sub though, so +1 to that.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
It was brought up because MeerschaumStore.com, our new sponsor has offered to produce new content with articles that contain text written by meerschaum experts and photos right from the mines and workshops.
We could then discuss it in the forums, and have it be easy to find with a meerschaum sub-forum.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Since I've been here awhile I usually just look at the recent threads, but I do use the sub-forums when looking for specific information, so I think a sub-forum would be good especially if Meerschaumstore.com will be writing articles for it. Now what of my great idea Kevin? :)

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
I think that there are other options than making a sub forum. The articles can be stickied, at the pipe forum for example. I understand that you want to appease your sponsors, but from my experience of online forums, subforums should be used very carefully.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I'm not a forum afficionado. But I do love my meers. I own six I smoke and one that is at least 100 yrs old that I do not smoke.
I love the idea of a meer sub-forum. I am constanly looking for information on meers, their maintenance and upkeep. I think one place on this forum for meer lovers is just a no-brainer. Smoking a meer is far different than smoking a briar.
So, count me in the meer sub-forum corner.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
It was brought up because MeerschaumStore.com, our new sponsor has offered to produce new content with articles that contain text written by meerschaum experts and photos right from the mines and workshops.
We could then discuss it in the forums, and have it be easy to find with a meerschaum sub-forum.
Sounds like a good idea to me.....count me in.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
I was wondering about this very thing, I think it is a good idea, a way to have meerschaum related things in one section.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I would love new content about Meers. But I don't think a sub forum is the answer.
Maybe putting it in the "Catagories" on the side of the site where we can find the "Ask G.L. Pease" articles?
If an article spurs a discussion then someone can make a thread about it and link to the article or they could contribute to the inevitable thread you start promoting the new articles.
Although if you went the route of a sub forum I don't think it'll be the end of the world.
Try it. See what the community thinks. Free feedback. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.