PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtothis

Lurker
Aug 22, 2016
Hey all,
I don't have a picture handy, but I just bought a meerschaum pipe from a antique store for a few bucks, hoping I can repair.

If not, it will make a great shelf piece, but I'm hoping I can fix it.
Long story short, it is a twist/screw mouth piece, and it looks like someone just tried to pull it out and snapped off the very end of where the mouth piece connects.
It's a pretty clean break, with a couple lost chips. I'm hoping I can find a food safe epoxy, or cement of some type to put it back together.

It's on the stem, so it's no going to be in a hotspot.
Any ideas? Or is it destined to be a shelf piece?

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Read this:https://rebornpipes.com/2016/03/23/replacing-a-threaded-mortisetenon-system-with-a-push-mortisetenon-system-in-a-meerschaum-pipe/
You can buy replacement tenons from several places. I think Royal Meerschaum sells them. I've even seen them on ebay.
Good luck.... go s..l..o..w..
Here ya go.. http://www.royalmeerschaumpipes.com/Regular-Stem-Push-Pull-Fittings-p/sft-3.htm

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
If you feel confident (as in you are handy with tool/repairs/crafts etc) give it a try. It's not that hard or complicated. The trick is to go very slow. If you have to drill, use a hand-twist drill and do it by hand.

newtothis

Lurker
Aug 22, 2016
Here is a picture of it.
YoAE5ZA.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dang. Sorry for that one. Interested in how it can be repaired, but I have been lucky in one sense: my last four breaks have been tenon snaps. Gotta stop dropping things!
Good luck, and please post results.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I was thinking something similar, but with a push tenon instead of threads. I agree that a butt joint, no matter how strong the adhesive, doesn't have much chance of lasting.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
If it was me I'd soak the stumble in water for an hour then use a knife to trim it smooth. I'd then get a longer stem and a push type tenon. Meer is just like a bar of soap after it has been soaked in water awhile.
Edit: spell check stumble should be stummel.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Go to Ric at Briarville. You will need to have the two halves cemented together and and a silver band added. This is usually done by heating the band until it expands just enough to slide over but tightens up as it cools off. You will need a new bone tenon but after that all will be fine. Done it a hundred times to pipe stems and they always come back from Briarville looking like 'da bomb'.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Just FYI, you could buy a pipe similar to that one (unbroken) for less than it would cost to repair. The gang is right -- to repair it properly, you probably need a silver band, but epoxy/glue might work for a while, certainly well enough to put it on display.

Status
Not open for further replies.