PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
My meerschaum bug is going strong. I have a question for you experienced meerschaum owners. Can I display the meers on a rack with my briar pipes, or do you suggest always keeping them in the case?

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
My racks are wall mounted. Pipes do sometimes fall down. Usually to to my ham handed clumsiness. So I case my meers, them being more fragile. If you aren't worried about that, display them. You may have to clean some dust out of the crannies once in a while if they are carved though.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I recently bought an SMS meer, a bulldog shape, and the brochure that came with the pipe advised to keep the pipe in the case after it is thoroughly dried. That means drying it with a non-bristle type pipe cleaner, and then putting a fresh soft pipe cleaner in the stem for a short time (I'm guessing several hours) to further absorb latent moisture.
BTW, for best coloring, they recommend smoking two bowls back to back; and smoking a minimum of 5 bowls per week.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My meers are always out, in a rack, 2 or 3 in the ash tray, always ready for use and never stowed in the case. I smoke meerschaums almost exclusively when at home, they do not travel with me, so I keep them readily available. The fitted cases are stored in a drawer should I have use for them.
I would suggest that if you have racks which sit on shelves, move them towards the back so that when accidents do happen the pipe merely falls over and does not suffer a drop. I've smoked meers for many years and while bits have been replaced only one pipe suffered major damage. I was lucky, as it was a favorite, in that a band salvaged it.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I suggest selling your briars and use the money to buy more meers. :)
If you insist on keeping some briars though there's nothing wrong with keeping your meers out of their cases.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I have a 6 pipe stand so I leave them out. I wouldn't trust em on a wall mount stand though. My clumsy ass would knock them over. That being said I do travel with mine and thats when they go in their cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.