Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Meerschaum Quality

(5 posts)
  1. hodirty

hodirty

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I purchased a pipe from royal meerschaum pies, and it smokes excellent. I paid less than $20 for it, but am curious whether they sell good quality or poor. Anyone know anything about them?

The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking.
    ~Albert Einstein
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never heard of Royal Meerschaum, but that doesn't mean much. If it smokes well, though, I'm assuming it's good quality. . . ?

But at $20 I don't see how it can be block meerschaum, which is considered the best kind of meerschaum. If it's not block, then it's likely a composite of meerschaum. It may still smoke fine, but it won't likely color over time the same way a block meerschaum would.

Anyone else?

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

No experience with them, sorry. But I will say that I have a pressed meerschaum billiard that I bought while in college that I love. It's made in a way that I haven't seen again, where the meerschaum is actually pressed around a wood core, then carved into the bulldog shape. The stem is yellow plastic, the tenon/mortise joints are metal. I didn't pay much for it -- $14 new, this was back in the late 60s.

This pipe has a signature creaminess that I wish all meerschaums could emulate.

Anyway, back to the topic -- if it smokes great, that's all that matters, really.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. hodirty

hodirty

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. I guess it really doesnt matter what quality it is if it smokes good, well in this case.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am not a meerschaum expert, but I personally consider new meerschaum pipes under $150 to be rather suspect.

(With that said, there is nothing stopping a shyster from charging $300 for a flawed meer; dealing exclusively with "reputable" carvers/vendors is the only real "protection" against that, but its far from perfect)

If you find an inexpensive meerschaum, though, it is really a crapshoot.

It could be a great little smoker or a worthless piece of junk.

If its resale value and collectibility that you are after, though, you are better served by playing it safe and buying a recognized brand.

Still, dishonest sellers try to sucker people with fakes all the time. The meerschaum pipe market is really shady at times, IMO.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cosmicfolklore, papipeguy, settersbrace, tombraider, decigar, ravenwolf, jguss, pruss, purplemotoman, sailorjeremy, rsuninv, dacor, fadingdaylight, cortezattic, jah76, meatballj, rockford, numbersix, masspiper, andrew, psychpipes, mso489, pipedreamer, dread