Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Meerschaum Quality

(5 posts)
  1. hodirty

hodirty

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I purchased a pipe from royal meerschaum pies, and it smokes excellent. I paid less than $20 for it, but am curious whether they sell good quality or poor. Anyone know anything about them?

The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking.
    ~Albert Einstein
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never heard of Royal Meerschaum, but that doesn't mean much. If it smokes well, though, I'm assuming it's good quality. . . ?

But at $20 I don't see how it can be block meerschaum, which is considered the best kind of meerschaum. If it's not block, then it's likely a composite of meerschaum. It may still smoke fine, but it won't likely color over time the same way a block meerschaum would.

Anyone else?

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

No experience with them, sorry. But I will say that I have a pressed meerschaum billiard that I bought while in college that I love. It's made in a way that I haven't seen again, where the meerschaum is actually pressed around a wood core, then carved into the bulldog shape. The stem is yellow plastic, the tenon/mortise joints are metal. I didn't pay much for it -- $14 new, this was back in the late 60s.

This pipe has a signature creaminess that I wish all meerschaums could emulate.

Anyway, back to the topic -- if it smokes great, that's all that matters, really.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. hodirty

hodirty

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. I guess it really doesnt matter what quality it is if it smokes good, well in this case.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am not a meerschaum expert, but I personally consider new meerschaum pipes under $150 to be rather suspect.

(With that said, there is nothing stopping a shyster from charging $300 for a flawed meer; dealing exclusively with "reputable" carvers/vendors is the only real "protection" against that, but its far from perfect)

If you find an inexpensive meerschaum, though, it is really a crapshoot.

It could be a great little smoker or a worthless piece of junk.

If its resale value and collectibility that you are after, though, you are better served by playing it safe and buying a recognized brand.

Still, dishonest sellers try to sucker people with fakes all the time. The meerschaum pipe market is really shady at times, IMO.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   michiganlover, cosmicfolklore, tbradsim1, peckinpahhombre, flakyjakey, coalsmoke, judcole, petes03, retrogasm, tinpan, eightywon, mrenglish, klause, gamxiaoyuan