Meerschaum Pipes -What do I need to know?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimsthorpe

Lurker
Mar 14, 2013
I have long admired the very different Meerschaum pipe. Would someone with experience with this pipe mind me asking some very inane simple guy questions?

Do they age well? Are they delicate, since I am not? How do they pull? Are they an expensive pipe? Are there fake ones out there?

And anything else I might need to know.
Cheers

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
Unfortunatly the are very delicate. Should you drop it, it would get some serious damage.
Do they age well ? yes, if you take care of them they get a wonderful color smoking them (they don't have to become burning hot, smoke them slowly). Also when they are hot you better have your hands very clean, or you'll end up leaving your fingerprints onto the pipe, they easily get dirty. In the past they were colored white with some natural stuff (sorry, I don't know how to translate "spermaceti di balena" in english, but it was whale oil or something similar).

Now they use wax, and they don't change color as nicely as the old ones did.
Fakes: unfortunatly yes. Meershaum pipes can be "fake" meaning that they can use powder of meershaum and glue instead of a real meershaum block. Those are much heavier than real (and quite expensive) good quality meershaum.
The ones from Turkey (where most of the meershaum come from) are of various quality. the stems are not always the best quality. the old Bauer are much nicer but harder to find and very expensive.
Sorry for my poor english, hope this helps.
EDIT: this one : click is sold already but you get an idea...

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
grimsthorpe, welcome to the site. I bought a meer almost a year ago and can tell you its my go-to pipe at home. While meerschaum is lighter and more fragile than briar, I still thinks its a strong material. It smokes well and is beginning to show some nice coloring. As far as fakes, I have never encountered one, but pressed meer will break more easily than "block" meerschaum. Also, do not buy any with a screw in tenon. I tend to be careful with all my pipes, but slightly more so with the meer. Others have a different opinion.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm sitting here looking at five meers in the ashtray near my desk, there are four more on the rack in my bedroom. At home I smoke them almost exclusively. Four of my meerschaums are at least 50 years old, very nicely colored. There is an almost even mix of screw-in bits to twist-ins. Only one pipe has a repair band on it and it is a twist-in bit.
Treat them with respect and they will last you a life-time. My meers do not go to the woodlot or on photo shoots. They do very well outside, on the deck or when watering the gardens. They do not go outside when the temperature goes south of 20f or so.
If properly constructed they should smoke well, same as any other pipe. The ornateness of the carving generally dictates the cost along with the rating of the block. Some block is better than other, there are some 60 grades of meerschaum. You can smoke a meer more consistently than a briar as the meer does not need the rest after a full day of use. That said, I do let them dry out a bit between bowls. They do not seem to need the day or two of rest like a briar does after a full day of smoking.
Other than those caveats, mine are treated fairly cavalierly. I hold the bowl when tapping out on the cork or in my palm. They get a pipe cleaner after a smoke and are more thoroughly cleaned once a month with my other pipes. I wash my hands carefully before lighting up. The bowl rests in my hand when I smoke one of my heavier, more ornate pipes, no cotton glove or handkerchief. The others I usually handle by the stem when the bowl is working.
I've not found, through experience, that any of the so-called stain enhancing waxes help in the staining process. Perhaps some of the other meerschaum aficionados have anecdotal evidence to the contrary. If so, please share.
I did have a friend, a photographer, who used cotton gloves when smoking a meerschaum. I am sure that was purely affectation. Everything he did with that pipe was done with a flourish. He dearly loved that pipe and loved showing it off and the whole pipe experience, loading and tamping just so. I wish I knew what his kids did with it. It really was nicely carved and had colored to a nice, deep chocolate color.
That said, if coloring a pipe is the reason you smoke the meer, I'd suggest a clean handkerchief between fingers and bowl when loading and cleaning, only so that you can't blame dirty hands or wax disturbance should the pipe not color as you expected. After the tobacco is lighted you should try and handle only the bit. Some meers color splotchy, some will go to a deep almost black color, others will stop coloring somewhere in between. I suspect coloring evenness and hue are almost entirely due to the porosity of the mineral and the wax application, quality of and depth of.
I smoke the meers more for cool smoking qualities, not for the coloring. Ergo, I'm not as careful a smoker as one who is more concerned with coloring than smoking attributes. While I do enjoy a nicely stained meer, it is not the driving reason I smoke one.

grimsthorpe

Lurker
Mar 14, 2013
Wow, thanks all. I will not be so shy when presented with a meer in the future. I will look forward to a new addition.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hello,
I would like to correct one thing here. There are no fake meerschaum for 8-10 years.There is no pressed meerschaum for a long time.In the past mostly the pressed meerschaum was used for mini pipes or decorative boxes or souveniours.
Nowadays pressed technique is used for calabash meerschaum bowls too.
But there is a grade system for block meerschaum which is introduced by us for a long time ago.Grade 1-2-3 are the worst ones and can be cracked during smoking.Grade 4-5-6 are ok.The best one is ofcourse Grade6.lightest and purest one.
Pressed meerschaum is equally to grade 4 block meerschaum.

I hope this helps :)

Regards,

B.B

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Anyone know if its better to rest a meerschaum on a pipe rack or in the case they came in?

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Probably an annoyingly vague question, but what is a ballpark price figure for a good - not necessarily EXCEPTIONAL - meer? I'd like to get one and see a lot hovering deliciously at the 70 euro/95 USD mark, but is this suspiciously cheap? (I'd actually prefer just a classic shape done in quality block rather than an ornate artisan carving, so that might keep the price down a little).

Status
Not open for further replies.