PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Looking at bidding on one? Are they any good? Pros and cons from y’all would be great!!

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I have an old one too , wondering if they loose effectiveness with age , do they have a practical limit as the porosity closes up ?
Can they be cleaned ?

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I've had a few and I suppose that's possible, losing porosity that is. I have one that's gone sour and thought mb I accidentally let some cake build up cuz I haven't even smoke 20 bowls through it. Mb it's cuz the African meer is less porous, idk.

It's a Kiko Tanganika meerschaum lined, leather wrapped briar pipe which I bought as an unsmoked estate pipe. So even if i don't smoke It it's a piece of history and I like looking at it and contemplating the ills of colonialism.

Anyway, my final prognosis is I personally am not messing with any more meer lined pipes. Btw there often pressed meerschaum and really I see them as more of a novelty. If a anyone swears by them I'd love to hear from them.

But from now on if I want meerschaum I will get an actual block meerschaum pipe. Unsmoked and with a push pull tennon.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Thanks fur the feedback!! I have not personally seen one just the one online. Wasn’t sure if they wear funktional oar knot!!

Wud definitely like to hear from anyone who’s used won with any suxes!!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have one, but it's frankly not much of a smoker. The meer can't breathe because it's blocked by briar. I really don't recommend them.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Thanks Jim. From what I’ve read on meerschaum I was wondering about them breathing!!

I’ll take a pass on this then!!

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Total crap, save your money. Pressed meerschaum made from leftover block dust. The one I have smokes hot as shit and has a odd taste. Spend the money on a real meer and you will never have a better smoking pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My first pipe, early 60', was a Meer lined, leather covered Rop. Sweet pipe but, it was neither a meer nor a briar as I learned over the next couple of years. One of the first tossed as I built a grouping of great smokers.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Same experience here with a leather wrapped siesta. I got it for $50 but it’s not even worth that

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
frankly not much of a smoker. The meer can't breathe
What Jim said, + 'cobbery. For my coins about 40/60 split. Pressed meer is made of floor sweepings from the carving room, plus binder. It's mostly crap. I've had a few & a couple were OK-meh, but block is the way to go, certifed. You'll get *some* "breathe" out of a meer-line, simply because briar itself breathes a little, but don't expect much, & don't expect it for long.
To quote Granny Yokum, "Ah has spoken."
Bill :puffpipe:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Given a decent looking one, I'd smoke it. Maybe end up loving it. But the two I have had - one gone- have just too small a chamber.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I think the idea behind it was that people could "in theory" have the smoking qualities of a meerschaum pipe, and because the meerschaum was secured in briar/leather wrap etc. the pipe would be more durable. Especially for smokers that carry their pipe with them during the day. I don't own one so I can't say one way or another to their actual smoking qualities, but if you want a meerschaum pipe then I suggest saving up for the pipe you really want. There are plenty of great block meerschaum pipes out there at reasonable prices.

scooterdoo

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2018
I've never tried one but they've always interested. You get the Meer experience without the fragility. Still, I think my first meer smoke will come from a meerschaum pipe. I'd like to watch it color and kinda have the whole novelty piece thing.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I wonder if anyone has ever removed the meer liner from a pipe they've otherwise liked and made a decent smoker of it.
I'm kinda, shall we say, "reticent" about sharing opinions.
:roll: :rofl: :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.