PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockrat

Lurker
Aug 4, 2012
Hey All...I have had a few meer lined pipes that I bought years ago. I don't seem to read much about them much though. A few questions have came up lately. Anyone smoke them? Likes? Dislikes? One problem I have noticed is the lining seems come apart and fall out in chunks. Kinda bummed me out, as it happened to one of my old favorites. Does anyone have any ideas why this might have happened? I'm not sure I want to buy anymore meer lined pipes. Thanks for your thoughts fellas. :)

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
My experience with this was with a meer-lined Falcom. I felt the meer added nothing and reduced the bowl capacity - so I scraped it out of the bowl. IMO, block meer is wonderful, whereas meer-lined is mostly a gimmick.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
IMO, meer-lined pipes are marketed as the perfect pipe for beginners -- "No break-in required!" -- but are more of a compromised gimmick than a true solution. You don't get the great benefits of either a meerschaum (watching a carved pipe darken over time, experiencing a cooler/more neutral smoke -- because you're dealing with a lower-quality meerschaum wrapped tightly in briar) or a briar (creating a cake, tasting the impact of briar on tobacco).
I read recently -- maybe it was in Still Searching for Pipe Dreams or whatever that sequel is called -- about a pipesmoker who had the meer lining removed from such a pipe. The man who did the job had never been asked to do such a thing before and wasn't sure it would result in a smokeable pipe. But he did the job and the pipe turned out to be a much better smoke than it had been with the meerschaum lining intact.
I've owned one in my lifetime. It's long gone.
Bob

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
I have six in total, three NOS, and three new manufacture. The NOS are still holding on very well considering they were all made in the 70's, and the new ones are already falling apart.. I still enjoy smoking them and will buy some more eventually...

Status
Not open for further replies.