PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Anyone know how briar bowls are lined with meerschaum and are they any good?

How do they smoke?

What care is needed with them?

Thanks.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
1) Wish I could help you, its a mystery to me! I can tell you that the lining is usually (if not always) pressed meer. Like any pipe, I am sure there are duds and carved-mana-from-the-heavens...with but one meer lined having made its way through my stable, I can only report on it.
2) I had an older KBB Yello-bole meer lined that smoked wonderfully, especially considering I paid a whopping $0.37 for it...or at least it did after I removed the stinger, but thats another story. In the time that I had her in my active rotation, I found that she exhibited some of the qualities of meer (namely lack of stong ghosting), but seemed more...bullet-proof, for lack of a better term. I didn't feel like I was smoking a Faberge egg, like I do with my block meer. Finally, I noticed that it didn't seem to require as much resting time (which isn't to say that it doesn't require any) as briar; I could smoke three bowls per day, every day, without any detrimental effects rearing their heads.
3) I treated the pipe like a meer in the burning chamber - tip it and wipe it as soon as the smoke is finished; avoiding any cake. With cleaning, I would treat the pipe like a briar, allowing it to cool before breaking it down for a good swabbing. I would ensure that I was extra careful when cleaning out the airway that I didn't ram the pipe-cleaner too hard into the meer; I could see a pit developing over time if one wasn't careful. As I noted above, I found I could push this pipe without detrimental effects, making it a good choice as an all day (at work) smoker.
4) I'm sure others will have more and better advice to chime in with, but you're most welcome!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've never owned one, Ace, but I was looking into getting one awhile back and found that some (the later Barlings, for example) used composite meerchaum for the lining; meaning they weren't carved from a block but used bits of meer ground up and pressed/glued together. It kind of turned me off the idea.
I don't know if they're all like that, though. Let us know what you find out.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I've read the same regarding the use of pressed meerschaum to create the liners. As to whether that's a good thing or bad I couldn't say.

I won a lot of 6 pipes on eBay a year or so back. The lot included a really nasty Yorkshire meer-lined bulldog. Briar had a large stain of some kind and the bowl had thick cake in it. I finally did a refurb on the thing a month or so back.

I treat it pretty much exactly as schmitzbitz outlines. So far I've used it primarily as a testing pipe for new to me blends. Overall I'm really happy with it. Cool, no ghosting or gurgle, easily passes a cleaner.
yorkshire_ML.jpg

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
i have 7 meer lined pipes i bought from an antique store.

been smoking 2 of them and they smoke great.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Thanks baskerville. I really lucked into it, like I said it was part of a lot and NOT one that had me bid on the whole.

And yes, the liner really was as white as in the picture when I finished with it. Doesn't look that way now you can be sure.
Occurs to me that a meer-lined has the positive of not needing the additional maintenance of waxing involved with a solid meer. Of course you don't get the fun of seeing your pipe color as you smoke it either.
Ace, I'm thinking if I were to be buying new I'd go for a solid meer and leave the lined pipes for estate purchases. Just me rambling...

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
You can find easily on ebay Dr. plumb Meerschaum Lined Bowls.Don't know if they still produces them,but in 70' 80' were availables.Think you could buy one for less than 20 dollars

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Hilson made a pipe called Fantasia back in the 70's. They were a colorful swirl plastic with a meer lining. Have a couple, smoke them once in a while, they're OK.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I passed up buying one at a local shop recently. My concern was that if the briar and meerschaum heat up at different rates, the combination might not be too stable.

How well do these hold up over time?

Should I go back and buy that one I was looking at?

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
One type of pipe that does have a carved Meerschaum insert is a Gourd Calabash, you can even buy replacement Meerschaum inserts for them on ebay at this moment in time.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
My first pipe was meerlined and it smoked really great. The only problem I had with it was the cleaning of the stem (where the lining ends and the wood begins). Although I think mine was rosewood and not briar.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks all, I see on E-bay lined bowls for Falcon pipes that are new and was thinking of getting one for My Falcons.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I've had one for many years.
It's a good smoker and I use it for the rare occasions I want to smoke aromatics anymore.
The smoke is very cool, but the pipe itself can get pretty warm -- which makes sense.

rgbarnes

Lurker
Jan 24, 2013
I have several that I smoke often. As far as durability goes, I am not sure yet. I am only 66 and these meer lined pipes have only been in use for around 30-40 years. I will let you know if they last. My Calabash gourd broke, my solid meer broke at the stem attachment point, but the lined pipes keep right on truckin. One thing I like is that any wood can be used when lined with the meer. I have a Kilimanjaro that is made of teak, and has lasted for 30+ years, Meerschaum limed pipes smoke cool and dry, are easy to care for and do not require much special attention. You will want to take care when when reaming the bowl. (Yes, they do cake over time, and require a gentle hand.)

Status
Not open for further replies.