PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

informal

Lurker
Jan 11, 2017
Hey all,

I've been gifted a meerschaum pipe (link to pictures below) having belonged to my wife's grandfather. It appears to have been broken years ago and was glued together improperly. I would like to remove the glue and reapply it using non toxic, meer appropriate glue or attach the two sections via another method. So far I have tried using a heat gun to see if the glue would soften with heat- it did not.
If repairing it ends up not being a possibility I would like to remove the entire stem and install a push pull tenon and churchwarden stem. Is there a way to find a tenon and stem that would fit my current pipe?
Any advice is very appreciated, here are a few pictures and further description.
Meerschaum Pipe Help

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Personally if the stem is straight I'd leave it glued. You can always shim the screw tenon to re-align the mouthpiece to true.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I'm no expert but that looks like epoxy. It likely soaked into the meerschaum on either side of the joint and it would be a fool's errand now to try to get them apart in any fashion without great risk. But you have to wonder where in the hell the person's mind was when they glued them that way?

informal

Lurker
Jan 11, 2017
Thank you all very much for the help. The stem isn't straight, I am not able to run a pipe cleaner through it. The two pieces were not glued centered perfectly and the top portion is curved slightly, maybe how it was being displayed. It is clearer from this picture.
I have no idea why it was glued as it was; it's a real shame, but I am grateful for it and your help.
Should I look at something like this service? http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/html/meer_churchwarden.html
Thank you very much for your input.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Sorry I don't have a suggestion but thought I'd share my experience. I broke a stem on m meer and was able to glue it with non toxic guerilla glue. Very happy with the results.

Jun 27, 2016
I was reading that you can glue two pieces of meer together with a properly-proportioned mixture of egg whites and crushed meer powder. This would be for a clean break, or maybe two prepped surfaces. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.