PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I won this on eBay from a guy in Kefalonia, Greece. This is how it arrived...
IMG_1836-1.jpg

And after clean-up...
IMG_1838-1.jpg

IMG_1839-1.jpg

IMG_1842-1.jpg

I'm thinking it's from the 19th century or a little later. Any thoughts on what the little knob under the pipe is?

I have an idea... But it's only a theory.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Topd you really have a good eye for meer. I second that Storient should make an article that maybe Kevin would let you post here talking about the different kinds of meerschaum. I feel like it could only help your business as well. Maybe even help Kevin's as well.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
TopD, I might be a smart ass who doesn't really know what he is talking about but I would say that the foot on your pipe is just for style. There are a few theories on why they were placed on clays, from hanging on specialized racks to placing on tables when smoking, but on your pipe I would say it is to emulate a clay. Like a belge (a french shape named after the Belgian style of clay rather than the English - English had the foot and the Belgian didn't) the cutty is a shape made to emulate old clays. The cutty (which you have) emulates English clays.
And, that is a gorgeous pipe! I wouldn't care if it arrived covered in cow dung (I kind of would but nevertheless) I would cherish it!

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Awesome looking piece of history there Top.. maybe the button is for sitting?? congrats....

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Assaad, I think you are close. Sailors on wailing ships and such would cut a small hole near their

hammock, in a pole or beam and stick the little button in it so the pipe wouldn't roll around during

the night. I read that about old meerschaums and clays many years ago. I can only assume that it's true.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
TopD, I wonder if the many uses of the foot on pipes were just inventive uses that arose from something left over from the manufacturing process. I think that in mass producing the pipes they may have sometimes used molds that produced 2 pipes at once that were joined by the heel and then the spur was left when they were cut apart. I'm not sure though. I found this dissertation on clay pipes excavated in Jamaica. Scroll down to about pages 60-82 for images of bowl styles. I didn't know that there was such a large assortment of styles produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.