PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

babalooie

Lurker
Jan 7, 2015
I've seen meer jewelery and prayer beads listed on ebay. I know it's a light porous stone that scratches easily (duh!). Has anyone seen or heard of others who have used this wonderful stone for something other than pipes and figurines? I make rosaries using ox bone beads and spent pistol brass. I'd like to make one using meerschaum beads, but don't know if it would be practical.
I'd appreciate input from anyone who is familiar with this application.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's a reason Meerschaum pipes come in protective cases. I wonder if a smaller piece of Meerschaum would

tend to wear or crack. Materials are tricky. A small piece of Meerschaum, as in a bead, might be more durable,

but I'd guess it would be less. Many varieties of beads are extremely durable, including certain kinds of wood,

some but not all stone, glass, ceramics, etc.

babalooie

Lurker
Jan 7, 2015
Many varieties of beads are extremely durable, including certain kinds of wood,

some but not all stone, glass, ceramics, etc.
Yes. I've made rosaries out of all sorts of materials, but never meerschaum. In fact, none of my suppliers offer any type of meer bead. That's what is so intriguing to me. I prefer to use non-traditional materials and sometimes they turn out fantastic. So, I'll have to make one and see how it turns out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's sure worth a try. Rosaries, like jewelry, can be continually carried or worn, or only occasionally, so at least

for the occasional use, it might be good. More continual use, only time can tell. Drilling and carving Meer would

be an interesting learning curve. Some bead material is almost wear free. I am not Roman Catholic (although I

grew up in Chicago so was exposed to a lot of the religious culture through friends) but some rosaries that have

been carried daily for decades show almost no wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.