PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There is nothing like being original and here is another one I picked up last week in my travels!
pipe_june_zpshsfkdllw.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It is caused by smoking the pipe. Over time the pipe will turn a yellow and then ultimately a dark brown color caused by the interaction between the meerschaum and the tobacco juices!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
condorlover1:
Thank-you; I understand that part. My poorly-stated question pertained to what I perceive to be the unevenness of the coloration. Is that caused by handling, by partial filling of the pipe with tobacco, or is it just the nature of Meerschaum? Please explain.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Thank-you; I understand that part. My poorly-stated question pertained to what I perceive to be the unevenness of the coloration. Is that caused by handling, by partial filling of the pipe with tobacco, or is it just the nature of Meerschaum? Please explain.

Sometimes its the wax on the pipe. Heavier or lighter wax in places will cause coloring to differ.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Please educate me: What accounts for (what I perceive to be) the uneven coloration of the bowl?
Here is an excerpt I found on Altinok's Meerschaum Pipe Shop
One of the fascinating qualities of Meerschaum is its ability to change color from white to golden to a deep reddish brown. This results from the oil in the tobacco and wax on the outside of the bowl. If it is smoked too fast or too hot, the wax may melt down and only the base will color. Do not touch the bowl with your hands when the pipe is warm. The softened wax may cling to your fingers and the pipe will color in blotches.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
My (uneducated) guess is that the transition area where the smoke makes the 90 degree turn from bowl to shank gets wetter from condensation, and the pipe colors first in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.