PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Hey all,
Had a question about an issue I just had with my Ural Meer. I was gently using a paper towel to ream out the bowl after a smoke, and I guess the paper towel hooked itself on the draft hole chipping a piece near the it. It was a smaller chip, but now I'm concerned. Did I just ruin my pipe, or should it not bee too big of a problem?

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
So I am trying really hard to get decent photos on my phone. Light is bad in the house.
If you look closely, you'll see the whiter section near the draft hole. That is where the chip happened.

This second one I tried to use flash. Not much better I guess.

This is a Ural pipe. It is supposed to be reputable. The booklet I got with it says it is block meerschaum.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
That is certainly a bit unusual. The only time I have come across chips like that is in the walls of very old pipes. I suspect that the breathing hole had a hairline fracture when it was drilled during the manufacturing process. As the meerschaum has expanded and contracted during use this fracture has inevitably worked its way loose. I do not think this will prove terminal to the pipe in the long term. Are you smoking the pipe daily and what are you smoking in it?

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi,
I will three explanations for this.
1.The grade of meerschaum block was low.
2.the damaged was already there during carving process and somehow they masked it.
3.maybe even they don't see this problem and it occurred during smoking.
Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.