PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

antipatros24

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
I admit that although I have some limited experience with briar pipes, I know almost nothing about meerschaum pipes. I did some extensive reading on the subject and I realised that someone's best bet when buying a meerschaum is to find a reliable seller/carver that sells pipes made from meerschaum block. But even then (I read) that there might be a problem with their smoking performance, as the main focus of the carvers is usually the looks of the pipe. It happens that this week I am leaving for a trip in Istanbul in Turkey. I found out that there is a carver there under the name Bilal Dönmez (his site: http://www.meerschaumwork.com/index.html), but I could not find any info/review about his pipes.
So, I would like to ask you, if any of you has any experience with his pipes and whether you would recommend him or not. Also, are there any other noteworthy meerschaum carvers in Istanbul?
What I am looking for is a pipe that will be a good smoker rather than elaborate and fancy.
Thanks in advance for your help.

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
I am glad that you have point this as i am attending a meeting in Istanbul late May and just start searching and reading about Meerschaum pipes in Istanbul and the best place/shop to visit.
Hope somone will answer us with informative places.
Thanks in advance

Wasim

antipatros24

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
So, no one has any experience from this carver?
At least any tips on what to look for when buying a meerschaum pipe?

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Number one thing I look for Is a pipe that you find aesthetically pleasing; that goes for all pipes. But withmeers there are som many ways to go. My general guidlines would be first ensure that it was carved from solid block. Second The bowl width and depth suit your needs and third; if the design of the pipe is such that it appears to be too thin around the shank or bowl my motto is better safe than sorry. The thinner it is the more fragile. After that the basically follow the same rules as sculpture pleasing to the eye and has the appropriate sructural support if the carving grows away form the main mass of the pipe. Hope this helps... As far as whether it's a good smoker that's hard to say, it's based on reputation, but you may be able to look at the stem work to gauge the makers overall ability. Oh and welcome to the forum!

antipatros24

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Thanks for the welcome and the tips. May I ask what in particular should I look for when checking the stem?
Thanks again.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Before you go here is a website: www.meerschaumpipemaster.com. I believe there is an address in Turkey and you can browse his carving skills. I personally liked the Pirate selections, but there is a wide group of themes to select from. Have a great and safe trip.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
It's my understanding, and I could be way off here, but Meerschaum pipes are sold in many locations (ie gift shops etc.). You may be able to find a great pipe for a reasonable price compared to buying directly from a pipe carver etc. It's also my understanding that the way to check for a block meerschaum is to look for mold lines where the pipe would have been molded together from separate pieces. Good luck with your search, and I hope you find a great pipe and have a great time on your trip. Travel safely!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
My best advice to you is look at, handle as many pipes as you can in different shops. Talk to the

sellers and you'll be close to an expert in short order. You'll have no problem picking out a few pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I suspect there are many lousy pipes being sold as block meer's to the unsuspecting tourists in Turkey. If it were my money I would go with http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/bakipipes.html. He has a reputation of producing very good pipes that smoke great. I do not know if he has a store in Turkey where you can buy them, but do some research and maybe you can. There are tons of crap meers on the market so you will have to be very careful. Another good name is CAO.

antipatros24

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Thanks a lot for the advice. The only guy that will be within reach during my trip is this one: Bilal Dönmez (his site: http://www.meerschaumwork.com/index.html). Does anyone has any experience of his pipe? What do you think?
I am not going to try my luck in the markets, etc. Reliable sellers are the only option for me.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi,

Just a friendly warning.In turkey domestic market,you can not find good quality meerschaum pipes.Because all big companies and good artisans only work for international market.We only meet the international demand.For example when you go to grand bazaar in Istanbul, almost all pipes are carved grade 3-4 (out of 6) meerschaum block.
Regards,

B.B

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
almost all pipes are carved grade 3-4 (out of 6) meerschaum block
Meerqueen, could you give us more information on the grading of meer block. What is the best block? How many carvers use the best block? What is calcite?
I do know there is a world of difference between my good meer, and my not so good meer.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi,

@trailspike : this grading system has been introduced by us for a long time ago.
1 is worst and 6 is the best. by saying best we are talking about a meerschaum block which is purest, has low density and lightest one.
For example in our diamond and gold series we use grade 6 block meerschaum and in our affordable series we use grade 4-5 block meerschaum. grade 4-5-6 means that these blocks never cracked during smoking. below 4 should not be prefered.
For example in Sepetci village near the surface grade 3 block is mined while grade 5 is mined in the depth.
There are just a few master artisan left and most of them use grade 4-5-6 block meerschaum.
In the industry, we are the only one that we write "grade of block" and "grade of workmanship" on the product label and we also give life-time warranty to all products in our store.
Calcite is a carbonate mineral and it is also mined in Eskisehir but there is no relation between meerschaum and calcite.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Thanks for the meerschaum lesson. It is good information to have when buying a meerschaum pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.