PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have two block, carved, Falcon Meerschaum bowls and two Falcon meerschaum lined bowls. Their okay, but nothing to jump up and down about. I like smoking a standard meerschaum pipe a lot better. The Falcon meers do handle aromatic blends very well.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I picked up two recently and have been working on one of them.
HERE is the initial thread concerning them.
Here's the current state of affairs. You can see just a tinge of "off white" coloration setting in, after maybe 8 or 9 smokes. For comparison, next to the unsmoked on and my original meer lined briar bowl. I wasn't fond of it at first, but after some experimentation, I found a blend that gives a positive experience.
meers-600x450.jpg

See also THIS thread for additional details related to my meer bowl experience.
jay-roger.jpg

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
The threads have potential to come loose, they're held on with tiny nails, try not to crank down on them and waiting for the bowl to cool before removing isn't a terrible idea. Mine stays on this frame, only because I like how the Meer looks on it.
6600dd1.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Yours looks like it has a better seal around the bottom than mine. When I tighten mine own as much as I dare, I can cover the top with my hand and still get a light draw, as though the seal is not complete.
I'm contemplating how to improve it. It still smokes, but a better seal would make a better smoke. I'm open to suggestions.
jay-roger.jpg

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Check your threads, they can be a tight fit in some frames for whatever reason, if you still have threads visible and room to tighten them theoretically try slowly working it down more. Slow stable pressure, maybe screw it on and off some too, try to wear into the grooves so they'll seat better. I had to finagle this one a little, after I got the threads glued back on, oops. It's great now.

Status
Not open for further replies.