Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Meerschaum and Vulcanite

(19 posts)
  1. wunkus

wunkus

Login to Send PM

I have noticed that there are almost no meerschaum pipes with vulcanite stems on the market, and most of them seem to have an orange colored plastic stem. Is there any particular reason for that? I'd like to replace the plastic mortise and threaded tenon type stem on my meer with a fitted vulcanite stem. Are there any reasons this would be a bad idea?

-Will

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

The orange stems are meant to simulate amber stems from years past. Inserting a stem directly to the meerschaum would cause too much wear as it is a soft material. Companies such as IMP use a permanently affixed delrin sleeve in the shank and a one piece acrylic stem. Don't believe I've ever seen a vulcanite stem paired with meerschaum except in the case of older gourd calabash pipes.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  3. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As stated, it is a tradition thing. I'd probably be more interested in meerschaum if they would use vulcanite.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  4. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Converting a meer shank could be a dodgy proposition unless you've got somebody who reeeeallly knows his business. I agree the threadeds are a pain (both mine are slightly off in alignment) & a lot of times the color is just all wrong, like a neon sign.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have seen black stemmed Meers recently. Some even have a silver band. These IMP's and AKB's are listed at SPcom as acrylic, but I would call them and ask. Some of them are churchwardens and military style stems. I don't think that I have ever seen a really long warden stem made of acrylic, but that is just my speculation. They are listed as acrylic on the website, but mistakes can be made. Maybe ask to talk to someone who has had one in hand.

Michael
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  6. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

These IMP's and AKB's are listed at SPcom as acrylic, but I would call them and ask. Some of them are churchwardens and military style stems. I don't think that I have ever seen a really long warden stem made of acrylic, but that is just my speculation.

Yep, all acrylic. Here's an AKB I used to have, 10.33".

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, there you go.
    I wouldn't want an acrylic warden. It seems like it would be very fragile for the length. A vulcanite stem could absorb more shock from a drop, whereas that long a piece of acrylic is more likely to break from less impact.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  8. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, you aren't supposed to drop them!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh yeh, Didi... I meant step on them.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't want an acrylic warden.

I usually only used the short stem.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  11. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the thread and various posts. A Forums member recently generously sent me my first Meer, and I'm slowly catching up with the lore. Embers, that was quite a talon claw Meer. What moved you to get rid of it? Meers give a distinct delivery of flavor with notable clarity.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  12. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Meers give a distinct delivery of flavor with notable clarity.

Never noticed any difference between meers and briars.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  13. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

Since I’ve had a favorite blend for many years, I haven’t been bothered with “ghosting” in my briar pipes, but I understand that meerschaum pipes are relatively free of that particular trait.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  14. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I understand that meerschaum pipes are relatively free of that particular trait.

All pipes can ghost.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  15. wunkus

wunkus

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the replies and information. So the threaded tenon seems to be the best option, but I still dislike the orange color and feel of whatever plastic my stem is made out of. If no one makes one (as it sounds like nobody does), perhaps I can modify a vulcanite stem to thread onto my pipe.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  16. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have several going back to the early teens of the 20th century with vulcanite stems. After the fake amber stems vulcanite stems were and still are very common.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  17. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

I have noticed that there are almost no meerschaum pipes with vulcanite stems on the marke

I detest the screw-in tenons and the faux amber. Have a pretty maybe-CAO I never smoke because of the stem. I got these Tanganyika block meers off ebay dirt cheap. I think they're 1970s-1980s or thereabouts. The Pete p-lip is hands-down my most comfortable stem. The other one is a Manxman, from the same factory where Peterson meers were made. Still need some work on that stem - it was pretty dang furry when I got it.)) I smoke the Pete non-stop, just a quick wipe-out between smokes, and it's good to go. And if it starts gurgling, just pop off the stem and give it a quick swab.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  18. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

Evidently, if you can accept the aesthetic of the orange/multicolored lucite stems then your only gripe is the feel of the stem?

There are a lot of artists doing excellent work and using those materials, so if you appreciate their work and want to use their pipes, you might consider using “Softy” bit covers. They’re American made, give you a comfortable grip on your pipe and protect the stem from “chatter”.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  19. wunkus

wunkus

Login to Send PM

Evidently, if you can accept the aesthetic of the orange/multicolored lucite stems then your only gripe is the feel of the stem?

Oh, don't get me wrong: I can't stand the look of the orange stems and have been looking for a replacement since getting the pipe. A few days ago my pipe pouch fell a short distance and unfortunately broke my stem, thus also proving the cheapness of the material.

Posted 3 weeks ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mikethompson, ssjones, georged, fusion, elessar, driftedshank1, dmcmtk, theloniousmonkfish, cigrmaster, ray47, morgansteele, jpmcwjr, redglow, gorillafly