Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

israel

Lurker
Oct 27, 2015
I was given this pipe and was told it was made in the 1950's and in Austria. Where its made I know for a fact but nothing else. What I am trying to find out is this is really meerschaum, I did the whole lick finger test and didnt work so maybe there something else I can do or someone else have seen this pipe before and know what it is. Bakelite? I don't know.
Thanks everyone! :puffpipe:

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Do the lick-your-finger test to the inside of the bowl. The outside is waxed. If it sticks to the inside, you have, as I suspect, a 1950s Austrian-made block meerschaum. It's a nice, simple billiard with pretty carving and a plastic stem.

israel

Lurker
Oct 27, 2015
I done the lick test on a few parts of this pipe but doesnt work. However I have found pipes like this one on ebay claiming to be meerschaum, so yeah I still dont know lol.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Lick test will only work inside the bowl. Pressed meerschaum will not be sticky. Block meerschaum will be. Either way it's a nice pipe.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I need to revisit a local place. This pipe looks (from my memory) exactly like this one. If I head back, I will check it out and revisit this. I doubt it is, but interestingly enough from the pictures this almost resembles a white clay I used to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.