PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
I have been smoking for a few years, but have never smoked a meerschaum pipe. What are the benefits/downfalls of a meerschaum and if I have a few good briar pipes, should I even spend the money on a meerschaum?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Meerschaums don't shade the pure taste of the tobacco. They are good choices for beginning smokers because they don't need to be rested as often as briars. They color nicely in due time, but they are more fragile and susceptible to marring by scratches and fingerprints. You should not allow any carbon to build up in the bowl, so they require a bit more cleaning after each smoke. I think they smoke a bit drier than any pipe other than a gourd calabash, but that's just my impression.
Check out the PM.com article, The Meerschaum Pipe Experience.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I think everyone should have at least one meer. They do offer benefits over briars (and vice versa). They need to be kept away from water and like Cortez says, don't let carbon build up, always wipe the bowl clean.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Thank you, men. I'm going to give some serious considering to adding one to my collection.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would go for a fancy figural -- a sultan's head, Bacchus, or maybe Zeus -- some image with detail that will color nicely.

Be advised, it'll take a long time to color deeply, so go for the best, and smoke it a lot!

4a3f3b78ea471064977e4d076d66932e.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Naturally you could always take the easy way out and buy an old second hand one from Oi Vay dot com and enjoy the fact that someone else has broken the pipe in for you. Not only does this save you buying pounds of tobacco but also gives you instant gratification.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I second the recommendation for an Altinok meer. I have 2 of them and they are excellent.

goinslow

Lurker
Jul 19, 2014
Looking at the Altinok website.... new to the idea of adding a meer to my collection. So many different styles! Thanks for the above advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.