PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Okay, taking some suggestions from here and going to order some blends to try - Haddo's Delight, Hobbit's Weed, Wilke #191. Will look at Mac Baren's Navy flake a bit later based on my past experiences with multiple blends by Mac B.
Another question: Since I've noticed that the taste is "flat" when I smoked my current first try blend bought at a local B & M, and much briar, is there anything I can do to improve that? And yes, the meerschaum is already broken in from my last outing 35 years ago...
Do meerschaums normally taste flat like this?
Also, another question. I used to have a favorite calabash, that I considered my sweetest smoke. It was made from a yellow gourd with a meerschaum bowl insert. But in looking at pipes these days, the calabash seems to always be made of wood. Is this now common? Is it because the gourd would sometimes burn through (most likely from puffing to frequently and getting it too hot?)
Enjoying all of your comments and doing a lot of reading in here. If I can't find my old collection, I'll be pipe shopping so I can give these oldies a rest and rotate them...

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Welcome to the forums.
I've noticed that the taste is "flat" when I smoked my current first try blend bought at a local B & M, and much briar, is there anything I can do to improve that?
Could be the blend is flavorless, is it a aromatic?

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
It is an aromatic, but it did taste fairly nice in my briar that I smoked the next day.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Do meerschaums normally taste flat like this?
I do not own an extensive set of meers, so take what I say with a grain of salt; but I find that briars do add a certain amount of enhanced flavor over meers. Meerschaums tend to offer a drier smoke, one that doesn't interfere with the tobacco. Often this is a good thing, but sometimes a smoke is more enjoyable in a briar.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
In answer to the calabash question, African gourds are getting hard to get, but you can't go wrong

if you can spring for one. I personally wouldn't care for a wooden pipe instead of gourd, but you

get what you can afford.

Most pipes these days also have a 'pressed' meerschaum bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.