PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtybearpipes

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2012
I've only been on this forum for about a week... but it seems that everyone is crazy about meers! To me they seem too... fabricated? Maybe I don't even really understand what meers truly are. Haha somebody convince me to fall in love with these things! I'm all about good ol' wood.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
They cab be beautiful just like briars. I am not 100% sure they smoke any better. I am not a big fan of aromatics, but I prefer most out of meers.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I love the look of a good briar pipe. I bought an estate meer and wasn't too impressed. It could have just been a crappy block of meer or something. Storient on here makes some mighty fine looking meers though and they are suppose to smoke amazingly well.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
someone once said that a meerschaum pipe is the aristocrate of the pipes. I think that statement is very true. But like most man made things they are not all created equal. If you get a good solid block meerschaum from a reputable dealer, they are the best smokers you can get. no ghosting which means you can smoke many different types of tobacco in the same pipe, no needed resting betwenn smokes which means ou can smoke bowl after bowl in the same pipe, no break in period which means as soon as you get it you can just load it up and start smoking, and there are so many different carvings and designs to choose from that will turn a beautiful yellow brownish color after smokes that the beauty only intensify with age and will be a heirloom piece that you will always be proud to own and show off. thats just basic fact mixed with a little personal opinion lol

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've always liked them because of the artistry involved. Not that the artisanship of briars can't be impressive, but to me, the meerschaum with its ever-changing colors, even in the classic shapes has always been beautiful. That's purely personal aesthetic.
Because of the way the material in Meerschaum conducts heat and moisture, it makes the smoke cool and dry and since the Meerschaum doesn't impart its own taste to the tobacco, it will bring out different flavors than ina briar. As others have said, it is a little more resiliant for smoking bowls back to back and developing a cake is not necessary.
There is a downside to Meerschaum. Even in the good ones the drilling can be a little wonky. There are varying qualities of block, as some mentioned. If you drop it on the concrete...Well, goodbye. :crying:
All I really have to say is smoke one. If it's for you, you will know right away.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
why the rage?

The hype on these forums is a recent phenomenon. Topics and interests come and go and return again after a while.

The folks at PM.com are no more interested in meers than smokers anywhere else; meers are just the current focus.

Stick around long enough and the "group think" will range into cobs and clays and exotic woods and everything else

imaginable.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
my
IMAG0126.jpg
favorite one is as light as a marshmallow, some are heavier than others, but no more tha i briar i believe

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Here's some pipes I got recently with an Indian Head Meer. It's a small bowl and a great clencher. I really like all 3 of these and the Meer was new. I need to get a pic now that it has a little color.
IMAG0129.jpg

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've got nothing against meers myself. I've owned a few but I always end up selling or trading them for briar. I don't think meers smoke any better than briar, so for me it comes down to aesthetics and personally I prefer sandblasted grain to a dragon head.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Well I can say that my new meer...not a dragon head...is awesome...everything tastes a little bit different then it did in a briar....so far I am a believer.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
+1 barkar. you are able to taste the tobacco of choice a bit better, its like reliving a moment in 3d...lol

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I do like a Meer. But, however, I also think the Meer Lined pipes are not worth the trip to the trash bin. If you are going to get a Meer, good choice, but get one carved out of solid block.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I do like a Meer. But, however, I also think the Meer Lined pipes are not worth the trip to the trash bin. If you are going to get a Meer, good choice, but get one carved out of solid block.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I can't wait to try a quality meer. The estate kind of grossed me out as well. You can't do the salt and alcohol treatment which puts my mind at ease with the briar pipes I've restored.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have classic Sultan head meer, and it does smoke as well as they say. However, the drilling is off a bit I do believe. I will be ordering a smooth bent billiard for Storient one day for sure.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.