PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Does anyone use alcohol to clean cake out of their Meers? I've been wiping mine out with spit covered q-tips. And after every 5 or 6 smokes I dampen a qtip with Everclear and wipe it out. What's the deal? Am I wrong in doing this?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
It's not recommended to use alcohol on the meerschaum itself; however, some meerschaum carvers have said that alcohol can be used on the meerschaum in minimal use. From what I've read it's more for sanitation purposes such as purchasing an estate pipe and wanting to clean/sanitize it for your use. As for regular cleaning I would say no. If to much alcohol is used it can ruin the natural abilities of the meerschaum.
When I need to remove cake from my meerschaum pipes, I use an old Buck pocket knife with a small blade and gently scrape the cake out. I never use alcohol on my pipes other than the stem.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I have seen Meer turning chalk white after good rubbing with alc. :)
On the other hand I like my Meers to smoke clean and thus keeping minimum or no cake at all.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
Over the decades I have been smoking pipes, I have read that it was not favorable to use alcohol on meerschaum. Obviously you can use it to clean the stem but I would keep it away from the bowl and shank.
Since you never want a cake to build inside the bowl of a meerschaum, here's what I do:
After each smoke, I use a pie cleaner to clean the pipe as I would a briar. I fold over the cleaner and apply it to the sides of the bowl interior. Then I twist up a paper towel and twist it inside the bowl. After a few smokes, I ream out the bowl. I find that I have better results and more control using the Savinelli Fits-All reamer. I have also just purchased and use the Decatur Pipe Knife which also works very, very well. I have many types of reamers but find I get the best results with these.
Lou

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Are you sure using even water on meerschaum is a safe thing? The thought of that material getting wet doesn't seem to be a good thing, I can't explain myself as to why but just my gut feeling.
Won't hurt it at all. It was wet before it was a pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would use hot running water followed by a towel dry over alcohol on a meer any day.
This would work, but I use baby wipes to avoid the clean up and towel drying.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll stay away from the Everclear treatment. Spit works great but hot water and wipes seem the way to go.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Also read multiple sources saying not to use water on a Meer.

Beats me why not for a stone taken out from the sea.
What it comes for cleaning - only brushing with pipe cleaner and dry paper towel does not prevent cake from build up.

And I am not smoking aros :) in general.
Needs additional cleaning/reaming every now and then.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
And, I have read that water is OK. Reading something doesn't mean much. There are 'experts' everywhere.
I use water. And alcohol if I feel it is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.