PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
While I will admit that I like the looks of a brier pipe with a meerschaum chamber, what is really the purpose? When I want to smoke a brier, that is what I do, and the same for a meerschaum.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Hmmm. I can see that, but I guess I'm just biased and like a briar to feel and smoke like one, and a meer to feel and smoke like one.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I'm just biased and like a briar to feel and smoke like one
Love my briars!
I know I'll pick up a meer at some point, but they seem a little cold to me.
I'm with you on this one chasingembers: Briar or Meer not Briar with a Meer lining.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
One of my best smokers is a meer lined briar. It's got beautiful flame grain, an oval shank in the 296 (Canadian) shape, and I got it for $ .99 plus shipping. It smokes cool and feels great. Very light too.

On the strength of that success I picked up another meer lined briar in a bulldog shape...that one needs work because it tastes off. I'm thinking I need to do the shank and stem with a cleaning process.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@newbroom
Good to hear some positive feedback on this topic. I'll have to keep my mind open and my eyes peeled for a bargain!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't own one but my guess would be that meerschaums don't ghost, smoke cool and give a true taste of what the tobacco is. The reason for being inside a briar is that some people don't like the look of a meerschaum or they don't want a carved pipe of someones head etc. They can also be a little more rough with the pipe, so if it gets banged around it won't chip or crack maybe. I don't really know... I'm just pulling this stuff out of my you know what. :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I love all my pipes, be they cob, brier, meer, even my calabash just for the different nuances, tactile sensations, and aesthetics that each one brings to a smoking session. Just seems to me that a hybrid may take something from the other. All with favorable views on such hybrid pipes have very valid points that I had'nt considered. I may have to pick one up just to give it a try. :puffy:

I would probably be tempted to try one, just to see what smoking meer would be like, if it truly doesn't ghost, and I can switch up blends in the same pipe. If...
But, to me, just my opinion, mine alone, a meer when new looks too prissy for me, and when patina'd looks like a dirty pipe to me. I reiterate, just why I wouldn't want one. No judgement at all on someone else who doesn't mind looking like they are smoking a dirty pipe :wink:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Don't think of the meer lined briar as a hybrid. Think of it as a different experience. You can hold the lined briar in your bare hand as you smoke. A definite no-no if coloring is important, according to some. My meers do not leave the house. So, with a lined briar I can have the meer experience away from the house without worrying at the brittleness of the mineral. And, Cortex may be on to something also.
The big plus, if you are not fond of lined pipes, is that you do not have to spend the money to own one for your smoking enjoyment. You can spend your money otherwise. I suppose it's in the same vein as those who do not find aros appealing, or English. Spend your hard earned cash on what you like.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I've always heard that meer linings were of inferior quality compared to block bowls. No evidence whatsoever, of course-- that's how I roll. But if the linings were powdered and formed they might taste funny and/or not absorb moisture as well.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
^Interesting point Billy. I hadn't heard that.
I tended to think Meer lined briars were made for durability. Briar protecting the meer, yada yada.
I have a couple but haven't smoked them yet. Old Mastercrafts.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
The best argument for the powdered meer lining concept is: Why waste a good block of meerschaum carving a lining for a briar bowl when you can carve a full blown pipe out of it? Corollary-- meer linings are the perfect use for scraps and leavings from carving full pipes. Just makes sense to me.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
billypm, I think, has it correct. Pressed meer linings are certainly different from block. I've never heard of anyone suggesting that they are one and the same. Pressed meer serves its purpose as does block, in their respective uses.
And, we are back to "personal preference." If it smokes great, its a great pipe. If the pipe gives pleasure to the smoker, the cost, material, shape, etc. become immaterial.

Status
Not open for further replies.