PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Since the market is very limited in my country, I only own briars and cobs.

Recently, this appeared in my local online supplier: Tanganyka Kilimanjaro straight.
Nni5Pts.jpg

The description says "south african meerschaum lined briar pipe".
My experience with meerschaum is nule. I've never even saw one.
Should I get it? It's a estate, and it's $70.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Pipes are extremely expensive here; taxes are brutal, and our currency is devaluated. For reference, a MM Legend is $23.
And you can't import tobacco related products. :(

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
If this pipe falls in line with what is normal for cost in your country and you like it, I say buy it. I have one meer lined bowl and I enjoy it but I recommend keeping it at home and not using it as a commuting pipe.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I have a Kiko meerschaum-lined, leather-wrapped pipe produced by the same company. It smokes very well. The price is, unfortunately, a bit steep. I think I paid about $25 for mine in unrestored, but good condition.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Yes, that's what I usually do.

But this one, being meer lined and with a screw in the stem, made me reach for a little help. Too many "new" things.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The U.S. pipe audience is spoiled by the availability of so much at reasonable prices, so it's a little difficult for us to offer advice outside our borders. Likewise, pricing is often based on the market in a particular country. I would comment on the Meerschaum lining. These pipes mostly get recommended by their owners. Smoking and maintenance is a little different than a briar; for instance, you cannot build cake in the chamber. If that is a good price where you are, and you like the pipe, I think you'd do okay with this. It wouldn't be my first choice on the U.S. market, but yours isn't the U.S. market.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
From what I've seen, meerschaum lined pipes tend to have small diameter chambers, like less than 19mm. Also, in a used pipe the screw-in tenon may be misaligned from over tightening.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
By all means. I'm from Argentina.

And for better or worse, the pipe is gone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry to hear that. It's happened to me more than once, since I can't buy anything (almost) without ruminating for a while. See what comes along after this. A standard briar pipe might suit you better, if it is something you like at a reasonable price. I think we'd be interested in what you finally purchase and how it goes.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
I ended up buying a Peterson leather pouch and a estate Peterson Killarney 606 fishtail.
I've also ordered 10 pouches of a recently discovered, still untasted tobacco. It's called SN (Sentimiento Nacional, National Identity). It's handmade from the best tobaccos and the master blender seems to really know and love his trade. I'm looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.