PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I purchased an unsmoked estate meer a month ago and almost everytime I smoke out of it it becomes clogged mid bowl. The draft hole is drilled perpendicular to the shank and I'm not sure if this is the problem. Any suggestions on fixing this? The pipe gives a great cool dry smoke but it has become an annoyance to have a choked off draw halfway through my smoke!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I'm a little confused... perpendicular is 90 degrees from the shaft, forming right angles.. which I'm sure isn't what you meant. I do want to help if I can..... (not trying to be a smart-ass, I swear!)

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya mate, the draught hole runs on a downward slant I think is what you mean. When you load your pipe, use bigger baccy pieces for the bottom and don't pack too tight. When you think you are packing well, make it a bit more looser and you will solve your problem.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
the same thing happens to me once in a while when i smoke flake and it is because i tend to over pack my flake do to it expanding, all it sounds like is over packing.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
On your pipe tool there should be a straight metal round poker to clear that hole. If you remove the stem while pipe is hot and clear the hole do it quickly and return stem before pipe cools or it will be hard to put stem back in.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I will try these suggestions thank you. This meet is a straight billiard but the bowl is constructed oddly I did in fact mean 90 degrees. As they drille the shankhole then went straight down in the middle of the bowl to make the draft hole...strange I know.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I think I know what he means. At the bottom of the bowl is the draft hole which goes straight DOWN, then turns 90 degrees to the rear. I've seen this in low grade pipes and you're right, they DO clog easily and won't unclog unless you empty the bowl and poke a pipe cleaner down into it. Basically if you know what you're doing you DON'T make pipes this way. You could try using a screen, but this is not a real pipe. Chuck it and try again.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Did you pay a lot for the pipe, if not take a drill bit meer is soft, go at a 45degree and open the hole up be careful not a lot of pressure or you will punch a hole in it, maybe use some locking pliers the old cajun

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I paid a whopping $17 shipped for it because it was a 40 year old meer unsmoked...of course most of the time you get what you pay for. Doesn't make it a fake pipe lol it smokes tobacco just a little quirky. I'll see what I can do to make it function better.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Don't calabashes operate in much the same way? Draft hole dead center on the bottom of the Meer top piece?
Falcon Bowls too right?
Are they known for clogs as well? Haven't heard too many complain about them.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Don't calabashes operate in much the same way? Draft hole dead center on the bottom of the Meer top piece?
Falcon Bowls too right?
Are they known for clogs as well? Haven't heard too many complain about them.

Those are different. Calabashes have a huge airspace under the hole, and Falcons do too, just not as big of a space as a Calabas

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Uber... You've been here as long as I.
Do you honestly think I don't know what a calabash and a falcon pipe look like?
I was asking if the draft hole was about the same as a calabash or falcon, since I don't see a picture.
The amount of space BELOW the hole can't possibly contribute to a clog that's happening ABOVE the hole. So yeah...

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Bigvan had it right. A lot of meers are drilled screwy. If you want to keep the pipe, the best you can do is open it up a bit. My big Meer is drilled off center and often requires a pipe cleaner and a relight at the end of the bowl. My little Meer has a drill that's ok but won't pass a cleaner with the bent stem on. That one rarely needs one during the smoke, though.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Here are some photos as requested:
Meer2.jpg

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Holy smokes Batman that image is huge haha sorry but I guess in this case more detail is better. I increased the exposure so you could see the inside of the bowl as best as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.