Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Medwakh

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Tobacco smoking was unacceptable during the Ottoman Zenith and the rulers did their level best to outlaw the product. The small pipe called MEDWAKH used to smoke Dokha was the ideal tool to get your daily nicotine dose. Almost undetecable it could be carried around and the pipe could be used inconspicuously. In addition to that, the heavy mixture of herbs and other spices disguised the smell so not to attract unneeded attention.
    There are two stories associated with the origin of Dokha and Medwakh. The Arabs claim that both the tobacco and the pipe were introduced by them and at the same time the Iranians (then Persians) claim that they were responsible for the genesis of the tobacco and the pipe in the 1400's. Either way the tobacco has been smoked, tested and enjoyed for over 500 years.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. kf5eqv

kf5eqv

Login to Send PM

What is going on here? Did this guy get deleted for posting about this or did he manage to post without registering?

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. tokerpipes

tokerpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Weird. Is it real pipe information or just crap.

If you can't pack it, light it, and smoke it then why do it. It's a dieing art that must be rekindled in all of us as fortold by our forefathers.

Words to live by for all pipe smokers.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Because he broke a forum rule about posting personal links - think he was using a business name for his user id.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

His username was the address for a commercial website. The info is valid, medwakhs are interesting little pipes with their own tradition. But basically the guy was spamming his website.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good catch from the Mods to get rid of the spammer and yet leave the tidbit of true and interesting historical fact. Whenever you visit the middle east, it's interesting to find a Medwakh. I also invite everyone, if they ever get a chance, to go try what is called a "Nargileh" over there. We use the Indian word for it here.. the dreaded hookah

However the true Nargileh experience in the Middle East is quite different from what you find here. It is true that the tobacco used in Nargileh / Hookah smoking (Sisha) is traditionally heavily cased with different molasses-based flavorings. However, nowadays here, I've noticed many places will carry non-tobacco based, usually herbal, Sisha, which is so heavily flavored it's like candy more so than actual tobacco. Over there, I've had some quite good, slightly flavored and high Vitamin N smoking experiences.

But that's it on the Nargileh front, before the Mods kick me off This is not the right forum.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. kf5eqv

kf5eqv

Login to Send PM

Ok, cool. I was planning to post an essay I'm working on about Medwakh and just wanted to make sure that isn't what got this cat kicked.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is it real pipe information

According to Wikipedia it is real.

When i was in West Africa they smoked small pipes similar to this. They weren't much bigger than cigarette holders. i'm sure they mixed grass or leaves with their tobacco, but i always thought they did that to stretch their money.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lonestar is exactly right.
    This spammer has had his account deleted, and is banned.
    We decided to leave this post because it may be of some historical interest to our members.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

kf5, looking forward to what you have to say on medwakh.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting history. Not sure I would like the herbs all mixed in with the tobacco? I think I would rather try the Japanese pipe tobacco to tell you the truth. Not sure if either are available in the US market?

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can indeed buy dhoka in the U.S.; I think (although I could be mistaken) there is even one producer in the Western Hemisphere...but there are definitely importers. Dhoka isn't like smoking a pipe; it gives you a very stout blast of nicotine very quickly.
    The cut is akin to what we call cube or granulated, and burns fairly quickly...I get about three minutes off of my medwakh. If you have issues with your briar being mistaken for drug paraphernalia, avoid these like the plague...both medwakh and kiseru are "one-hitter" sized bowls, like pipes for something else.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

I smoke dhoka all the time in a medwakh. Depending on the blend, it gives you a nice little head rush. It doesn't not taste or smell like cigarettes. It's very good stuff.

My friend from Dubai got me hooked. He also suggested I order from Medwakh.com. So I did and the service was probably the best I've ever had. Tere was a very slight defect in the medwakh, so he sent me 2 more for free!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipes they used in Africa were about 4-6 inches long and looked much like a cigarette holder. They were beautifully made of metal with rings of various colors. They would cram a little wad of tobacco in the end and get one or possibly two puffs.

i would have loved to take one home with me, but i thought they looked a little too much like hash pipes for my comfort.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. lafraas

lafraas

Login to Send PM

I run a pipe and tobacco outlet on IH35 just outside Austin. I have soldiers from Fort Hood who have returned from the Middle East and have asked about dokha. Accordingly, after a little research, I found several importers and now supply their needs.

When love grows cool, thy fire still warms me; when friends are fled, thy presence charms me.
    If thou art full, though purse be bare, I smoke, and cast away all care!
    ---German Drinking Song---
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cedeks

cedeks

Login to Send PM

I have three of these little pipes, they are really small and not strictly from wood. It is more like a 30 seconds pipe they have their own tobacco which is usually mixed with herbs (Mainly menthol). The non flavoured tobacco is much more common and comes in 4 different levels of nicotine starting with brownish leaves with minimum nicotine level and ending with green. Some of the tobacco is flavoured with strawberry or grapes. In fact I tried it for a certain period but the very short time of each bowl annoyed me (never last beyond 1 minute). Any way I might add some pics for these soon, but for me I still prefer regular pipes concept

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   zitotczito, kendodan, weezell, blueeyedogre, drlpipe, lincolnsbark, pipestud, frozenchurchwarden, gunslinger, tonyiommi, sparks, jiminks, neverbend, daimyo, derfargin, rsuninv, steyrshrek, yaddy306, agnosticpipe, fishingandpipes