PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Hi folks, I wanted to add some Virginias to my cellar and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find

A) a straight Virginia

B) In Flake form

C) of medium strength

D) in bulk
Most of the stuff in bulk is lighter than I prefer or laced with Perique. Any help would be great, thanks.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Full Virginia Flake? Best Brown Flake, also.

There are the McClelland Blackwoods Flake 100G tins too, they amount to about 4.7$ per oz, which is not that bad.
Peretti Oxford Flake might be down your alley as well, although I have not tasted it, Peretti is known to be good.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
You might try Newminster 400 or PS 402, they come in bulk, and Mac Baren makes a 9 oz. tin of No. 1 which is very bright, also sold bulk. If you buy bulk you might try stoving them yourself to get the darker strength you want.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Also, G.L. Pease Union square 8oz cans are a fine choice as well.

And the Cornell & Diehl - Opening Night.
I understand you asked for bulks but quality Virginia Flakes are not that much cheaper even in bulk.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sam Gawith Medium Flake, SG Full Virginia Flake, Sutliff 507-C Virginia Slices, and SG Best Brown Flake are all available in bulk.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Like you I wanted to explore the world of straight Virginias and after trying several blends I've settled on Peter Stokebbye's Luxury Twist Flake. It meets all the criteria's you've listed. Great tasting blend which has a hint of coconut in the taste & aroma. It's strength is in the mild to medium range and is a great all day everyday blend.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
And the Cornell & Diehl - Opening Night.

Good one , and very overlooked in my opinion!

McClelland also has a couple in bulk, but I must echo the opinion that bulk vs. tinned is not that much of a price difference when talking about quality VAs.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I think I'll set my sights on SG's 250g Best Brown Flake. Hopefully it will be in stock sometime at the end of the month when I'm able to put in a large order.

Status
Not open for further replies.