PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I picked up this old pipe to experiment on, really. But it turned into a "Save This Old Pipe" restoration effort. It really came out quite well, despite some surprises along the way. And the experiments were of good, usable info for me, too. And best of all - it smokes really well! :puffy:

The full write up and lots of photos can be found here

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Congrats! As the very happy owner of a couple of late '50s-early '60s Medicos, I can certainly appreciate the efforts you put into making this beauty shine....and boy does it shine. Lovely pipe you have there, that red is dynamic and sleek. If yours smokes as nice for you as mine are to me, then you certainly have a champion!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks, gents. I've only gotten to smoke it once so far but it seems promising! I, too, love the "old guys"- they have a character to them IMHO.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Nice work, I recently picked up a NOS Medico VFQ Straight Rhodesian. It has never been smoked and still has the label on the stem. I will post some pics soon.

I also noticed alot of fills on the VFQ (Very Fine Quality correct?)and while I know its a drug store pipe I thought VFQ's were better than standard Medicos.

I am planning on donating it to Dave for the Free Pipe Project. It should smoke just fine even with the fills.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I also noticed alot of fills on the VFQ (Very Fine Quality correct?)and while I know its a drug store pipe I thought VFQ's were better than standard Medicos.

I think they started off as better quality but over time declined; they even make a Brylon VFQ. If you catch an older one they are more likely to be better quality; they range from pre-1965 to present day production.

I am planning on donating it to Dave for the Free Pipe Project

I'm not familiar with this - time to do some searches I reckon. :puffpipe:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
This one seems older, how old? Not sure.
shaintiques is an active member here and has been a great person in the pipe community to help new smokers who maybe have only a couple of pipes. Helps build up their rotation.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
shaintiques is an active member here and has been a great person in the pipe community to help new smokers who maybe have only a couple of pipes. Helps build up their rotation.

I had forgotten shaintiques was Dave; I know who you mean now.
I also searched out the thread and it's a very honorable, and seems quite successful, undertaking that I applaud. :clap:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice work, I recently picked up a NOS Medico VFQ Straight Rhodesian. It has never been smoked and still has the label on the stem. I will post some pics soon.

Looking at some old Medico ads,I'd say the VFQ is a mid range pipe,priced less than the the Crest,Magnet Top,Guardian,and the Jet.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Looking at some old Medico ads,I'd say the VFQ is a mid range pipe,priced less than the the Crest,Magnet Top,Guardian,and the Jet.

That's interesting Ed. Are the ones you listed in general a good list of top down quality in Medicos? I had an old Frank I restored and ended up gifting away (wish I'd kept it) that was a great smoker and had a vulcanite stem. I imagine it was fairly old. Do you know anything about those?

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Very cool, and wonderful job Greg. My grandma gave me a squashed tomato VFQ that belonged to my grandpa a a few months back and the stem coloring is pretty cool. I was doubtful myself about the stem being Cumberland but I really didn't know for sure due to lack of experience. Hope it proves to be a great smoker for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.