PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffsimpson

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2014
So a couple years back, I was living at my grandparents house and I decided to go mucking about in the attic looking for cool things. While in the attic, I found two such things, both of which I now own. The first being an encyclopedia set from 1910, and the second being a Medico Churchwarden.
Does anyone have any information on the Medico Churchwarden? When/where it was made and stuff like that?

The pipe in the picture is just grabbed off of google, but it's the same as the one I have.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a find! Especially from your grandparents attic. I'm craving to ask cousins about the disposition of

my late uncle's pipes. He was the other major pipe smoker in the family other than my dad and grandfather,

and I think he had some nice ones, but I dread to be seen as trying to pilfer family mementos. I'm glad you

found this. Looks pretty unique.

jeffsimpson

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2014
I know that my grandfather on my dad's side smoked a pipe but grandma made him quit years ago and I think he got rid of his pipes. It's a shame that I was younger at the time and wasn't able to get my hands on them.
This pipe, however, was from the grandparents on my mum's side and I have no idea whose it could be. As far as I know Papa (as I call him) never smoked unless it was his from before he had kids (back in the 50s) So far the only info I got on the Medico Churchwardens from scouring google was that they were produced from 1956 until 1976. It's possible that Papa grabbed this in '56 and then stowed it away, as my first aunt was born in '57. They've moved a few times since then so it could have been sitting in a box for all that time until I came across it - it looks like it's in great condition and it's barely been used as far as I can tell. I'll get my wife to take some pictures of mine one day.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
What a great find, especially since it was your grandfathers. I love that it's a dublin shape too. Hope you enjoy it!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
jeffsimpson

"I found two such things, both of which I now own. The first being an encyclopedia set from 1910, and the second being a Medico Churchwarden."
The whole find was a treasure, man. I know it is even more so because of the heritage. My great grandfather chewed."

I wish he had smoked pipes. Would not want his old spittoon. ;O)

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Okie, those old brass spittoons are surprisngly valuable to some collectors. Jeffsimpson, awesome find and I have an acquaintance that smokes a Medico churchwarden that was his great grandfathers or great-uncle's pipe, and looks a great deal like this one; I know this because I have a Dublin short in the same era/style/family. To my knowledge these pipes were early to mid 50s, but I could be wrong at that too. According to my guy, his pipe was bought originally in 1953 as a coming home gift after Korea.

Mar 31, 2014
Pipedia is a good source for these kind of questions, though, they won't always have what you're looking for. Never hurts to check it out :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Medico is owned by S. M. Frank. They also make Kaywoodie and Yellow-Bole. Frank is also known the deservedly wretched Brylon pipes sometimes mentioned here. There are a couple of experts here on these pipes and I hope they chime in.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new treasure.

jeffsimpson

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2014
I've searched around pipepedia a bit but couldn't find anything on this pipe specifically, nor on medico. The S.M. Frank page seems to be the only page with any relevant info, but alas nothing on the churchwarden. Later on tonight after work I was going to take some pictures of it and post them for y'all so we can have a better look.
I've smoked it a bunch (probably 20-30 times) since I've gotten it which and it doesn't have much of a cake so it leads me to believe that it's precarbonized. The stem is stamped with a C so according to my google-fu it's the original stem.

jeffsimpson

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2014
Pictures! First up is a close-up on the 'Medico Churchwarden.' There was a profile shot of the pipe but it was really blurry and we were in a rush so that one got scrapped. Second is just a shot of the bowl from another angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.